1.9.8 and 1.9.16: Calendar months not displayed in German correctly; tried all locale for Solaris 10 already

1.9.8 and 1.9.16: Calendar months not displayed in German correctly; tried all locale for Solaris 10 already

by Monica Franz -
Number of replies: 9

Hi,

I know his problem was solved already since Moodle 1.8. it worked in Moodle 1.9.3 (our very old prod. system), in the Versions 1.9.8 and 1.9.16 it doesn't show the corect month name for March (German: März): look at the end of this thread.

I tested setting locale to all server (Solaris 10) given char sets

de_DE
de_DE.ISO8859-1
de_DE.ISO8859-15
de_DE.ISO8859-15@euro
de_DE.UTF-8
de_DE.UTF-8@euro

with no effect.

What do I have to change so 'März' is shown correct?

Cheers,

Monica

Attachment baldaktuell.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Monica Franz

Re: 1.9.8 and 1.9.16: Calendar months not displayed in German correctly; tried all locale for Solaris 10 already

by Brian King -

If you search for "locale" in the administration block, do you have something in the "locale" field?  If so, try clearing it out and saving.  Then it should use the correct setting based on the language of the user.

I just did this today on a solaris server.

In reply to Brian King

Re: 1.9.8 and 1.9.16: Calendar months not displayed in German correctly; tried all locale for Solaris 10 already

by Monica Franz -

Hi Brian!

Thanks for answering, I cleared the locale field already, and tried all the locale settings one by one as well, but the problem still exists.

Setting the browser to UTF8 the calendar looks ok, but the umlauts in text look weird.

I tried to set the locale in the Admin.block to UTF8 but nothing happened. Do I always have to restart apache?

Cheers,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Brian King -

I guess you'd need to restart apache after installing a new locale in the operating system, but should not need to after changing the value of the locale field in Moodle.

Is it possible that your Moodle is not serving UTF-8?   What is the Content-Type response header from your Moodle?

In reply to Brian King

by Monica Franz -

Hi Brian,

what's Content-Type response header?

Where do I find Content-Type response header, with Firebug?

Have a nice weekend!

Cheers,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Brian King -

Monica, are still having that problem?

Firebug would let you see the Content-Type, yes.  Or with Developer Tools in the Chrome browser.  Someplace in there, you can see the request for a page from moodle, and in one of the detail views you can see the headers.  The response headers are where you will find the Content-Type header.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brian King

by Monica Franz -

Hi Brian!

Yes, the problem is still there until April and then next year the same,...

I'll try to figure out the content type and post th results here if I can find something, till end of March.

Cheers,

Monica

In reply to Brian King

by Monica Franz -

Hi Brian,

I found following info with Firebug:

Antwort-Header    Answering-Header
Accept-Ranges bytes
Content-Length 15980
Content-Type application/javascript
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:20:12 GMT
Etag "3418-3e6c-3e2273f8dee00"
Last-Modified Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:12:08 GMT
Server Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.7d DAV/2 mod_fastcgi/2.4.6
Anfrage-Header     Requesting-Header
Accept */*
Accept-Charset ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Accept-Encoding gzip, deflate
Accept-Language de-de,de;q=0.8,en-us;q=0.5,en;q=0.3
Connection keep-alive
Cookie MoodleSession=kg2tq09b3d8g0fvgq9cbouea73; MoodleSessionTest=cO9yA6zBih; MOODLEID_=%2585%2587%25DF%25025
Host moodle.hs-augsburg.de
Referer https://moodle.hs-augsburg.de/calendar/view.php?view=month&course=1&cal_d=1&cal_m=03&cal_y=2012
User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
Antwort-Header aus dem Cache   Answering-Header from Cache
Accept-Ranges bytes
Content-Length 15980
Content-Type application/javascript
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:20:12 GMT
Etag "3418-3e6c-3e2273f8dee00"
Last-Modified Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:12:08 GMT
Server Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.7d DAV/2 mod_fastcgi/2.4.6

It seems that moodle charset is correkt but the calendar module ignores the setting.

But where is the code where this is ignored? Do you have any idea?

Cheers,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Brian King -

Hi Monica,

sorry for a long silence ... I don't get mails from these forums because it's just an overload for me, and we can't limit the email to a single discussion.

I really don't know what the problem is, since you have the de_DE.UTF-8 locale installed on your solaris server.

You may want to open a bug in the Moodle Tracker; perhaps the calendar maintainer would have an insight into the problem.

Cheers,

Brian

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Brian King

by Monica Franz -

Hi Brian,

I don't think this problem will be fixed for 1.9 anymore, nor a patch will be made as the support for 1.9 will stop in June.

Thanks for helping!

Cheers,

Monica