Uploading MC question with 200 options

Uploading MC question with 200 options

by Colin Matheson -
Number of replies: 2

We are trying to use the quiz module as a survey tool for the yearbook because the quiz module allows import of questions/answers via a text file.

Students will pick "Most Likely to Succeed" from the list of their classmates.

I tried uploading via Aiken, but the imported question was cut off at 26 options. I tried uploading via GIFT and it was cutoff around 30 options.

Any idea on how to create a question with 200 options? Possibly how to combine multiple questions together as I have uploaded 8 questions with 26 options.

Thanks for any help on this slightly crazy task we are attempting smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Matheson

Re: Uploading MC question with 200 options

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, you definitely earn the "wanting to do crazy things" badge for this one wink

This is a known bug. There is an entirely redundant question_multichoice.answers column in the database, which stores a comma-separated list of the question_answer ids. This colum has a maximum length of 255 characters, which I think you will find is about 30 x (length of an id in your question_answers table + 1).

I really hope I can eliminate that column before the Moodle 2.3 code-freeze.

For now, you can just go into phpMyAdmin (or similar) and make that column much wider (e.g. several thousand chars.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Uploading MC question with 200 options

by Colin Matheson -

Since I am not a database expert I am a little concerned about altering anything, so I will probably look for a different solution and not risk breaking anything.

I do think Moodle.org needs a Crazy badge smile

Thanks a bunch.