Issue with Multiplicator Setting using Simple Weighted Mean of Grades

Issue with Multiplicator Setting using Simple Weighted Mean of Grades

by Lisa Houle -
Number of replies: 1

Hello,

I am a bit stumpted and hoping someone can provide an answer for our aggregation issue. Currently, we are using Simple Weighted Mean of Grades for this particular course. We are using Moodle 1.9. In the category, 'Papers,' one assignment is worth 200 points but, because some assignments are submitted online, the maximum value we can assign for an 'advanced uploading of files assignment' is 100. Because of this, I set the 'Multiplicator' to a 2 in order to double the score; thereby, the maximum would be 200.

The category total "weight" for 'Papers' is 250 containing two grade items: 1) Reading Log worth 50 and 2) Final Essay worth 100 points, with the multiplicator set to 2 to give a maximum total of 200.

The aggregate only non-empty grades box is NOT checked. However, when using the multiplicator for the grade item described above, the category total jumps to 416.67. When the multiplicator is set to 1, the category total remains at 250. I also checked the user report and the 'range' remains at 250 but in the grade category, it jumps to 416.67 as the maximum value.

Maybe the answer is as simple as: You cannot use the multiplicator in simple weighted mean but I have never heard of this. I have already tried playing with the course settings, showing all hidden items, changing the grade display, but nothing seems to correct this and the issue is limited to the category itself.

This is a problem, however, because a student who should be earning a C (in the 70% range) is now getting an A (90-100% range). I even manually did the calculations and it should not be almost doubling the category total to 416.67.

Any insight would be appreciated.

In reply to Lisa Houle

Re: Issue with Multiplicator Setting using Simple Weighted Mean of Grades

by Bob Puffer -

In order to be well-situated to respond I'd ask you to post a screenshot of:

1. Your Categories and items page
  2. Your grader report (black out the names)
  3. Your settings page