Group enrolments does not work

Group enrolments does not work

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I am using enrolment keys for teachers and students, and want them to be made members of groups automatically.

1. I used two enrolment key plug-ins, one with the role set for Teachers, the other for Students,
  2. I selected Use group enrolment keys in both plug-ins, and set the enrolment keys/passwords
  3. I created two groups, Teachers and Students, and set their enrolment keys to the same as in their plug-ins (1)
  4. I selected "Visible groups", "No" on Force group mode and "None" on Default grouping in Course settings (I guess those ones really don't matter anyway?)

When an un-enroled user logs in and goes to the course both the enrolment alternatives are shown as they should. If the user select to enrol as a teacher, and writes the enrolment key I set for the Teachers plug-in and the Teachers group, he gets enrolled in the course as a teacher, but does not get added to the Teachers group. Same thing if he enrols as at Student; he gets enrolled as a student but not added to the Students group.

What might it be tha I do wrong, anyone?

I use Moodle 2.2+ (Build: 20111209)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: Group enrolments does not work

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Try making the enrolment key for the plugin different from the group enrolment key - that should fix it.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Diedrichs -

Yes, that was the problem - thanks!

by Peter Diedrichs -

New problem: If a student writes the student group enrolment key in the field intended for teachers to enrol, the student gets the role "teacher" (of course).

Q: Can I use group enrolment keys for both student and teachers, without risking that students by accident or on purpose enrols as teachers?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Just have the same enrolment key in both plugins - say "MOODLE"

Then for the teacher group when you make the group, call it TEACHER (well, not reallysmile)

And for the student group when you make the group call the key "STUDENT" (for example)

Then when a student types STUDENT into the teacher enrolment box it should NOT let them in because it is the wrong enrolment key. If it does let them in , then there is a bug.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Peter Diedrichs -

Hi Mary,

I did exactly as you described, even used the same keys. The problem is, if a student writes the STUDENT key in the field intended for TEACHERS to enrol, the student gets enrolled in the right group STUDENTS but with the role "teacher".

(In some way this is logical, because there doesn't seem to be any settings that actually ties the different groups to the different enrolment plug-ins?)

by Mary Cooch -

Ah ok-yes- I can see the logic too. Will have a thinksmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Just out of interest - why do you need the teachers to be in a group?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jane Lally -

Mary, I'm having the same problem as Peter. I thought if I have five teachers using the same course I should give them a group each and have their students in their group so any assignment submissions or other activity notifications only go to the relevant teacher.