Retrieve value of single form element

Retrieve value of single form element

by Ivn Vai -
Number of replies: 10

Hi there,

I have a form which has got many elements and each of those form elements when filled and submitted get stored in different database table.

So is there a way of just retrieving a specific form value and its data and store it in a table?

Like if I have

$mform->addElement('select', 'selectdepname', get_string('selectdepname', 'block_hierarchycreation'), $deplist);

$mform->addElement('text','sname', get_string('sname', 'block_hierarchycreation'), array('size' => 60));

In the above code my select menu is getting filled with values from another database table say table X

So firstly, is it important to name the form elements same as the database field names?

Secondly if I need to store 'sname'  in a separate table, table Y and then take d newly inserted record's id (from Table Y) and the drop down menu's selected id from the table X and put those ids together in another Table Z, then how do I do it?

Hopefulyl this is not very difficult and I have referred the http://dev.moodle.org/mod/page/view.php?id=49 which shows step wise as to how create form and store data in a table.

But couldn't figure out how to retrieve specific form values and store it in different tables simultaneously wrt scenario I have mentioned above?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks ina advance.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ivn Vai

Re: Retrieve value of single form element

by Ivn Vai -

I forgot to say that I am using Moodle 2.2.1. And this is my code in detail, if it helps. Its basicallya  form with many elements. But how would I determine which element of the form is clicked and how?

$mform->addElement('header', 'deptaddhierarchyheader', get_string('dept', 'block_hierarchycreation'));

$mform->addElement('text','dname', get_string('deptname', 'block_hierarchycreation'), array('size' => 60));
         $submitlabel = null; // Default

$submitlabel = get_string('addnewdept', 'block_hierarchycreation');
            $this->add_action_buttons(true, $submitlabel);

$mform->addElement('header', 'sectionaddhierarchyheader', get_string('section', 'block_hierarchycreation'));
        foreach($deptnames as $deptname)
        {$deptlist[] = $deptname->name;}
        $mform->addElement('select', 'selectdeptname', get_string('selectdeptname', 'block_hierarchycreation'), $deptlist);

$mform->addElement('text','sname', get_string('sectname', 'block_hierarchycreation'), array('size' => 60));

$submitlabel = get_string('addnewsect', 'block_hierarchycreation');

$mform->addElement('header', 'areaaddhierarchyheader', get_string('area', 'block_hierarchycreation'));
        foreach($sectnames as $sectname)
        {$sectlist[] = $sectname->name;}
        $mform->addElement('select', 'selectsectname', get_string('selectsectname', 'block_hierarchycreation'), $sectlist);

$mform->addElement('text','aname', get_string('areaname', 'block_hierarchycreation'), array('size' => 60));

$submitlabel = get_string('addnewarea', 'block_hierarchycreation');

n the form looks smthng like this:

My form

So now If I just want to check if only my 'Add new Section' button is clicked and just wanna retrieve my 'Choose a Department' dropdown n 'Section Name'  text values and store it in a  database, how do i do it? without touching or disturbing the rest of d form.

Please help as this is driving me crazy.

In reply to Ivn Vai

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You need to change the 'add_action_buttons', call to something like this (modified from http://docs.moodle.org/dev/lib/formslib.php_Form_Definition#submit.2C_reset_and_cancel ):

$buttonarray=array();
$buttonarray[] = &$mform->createElement('submit', 'submitdepartment', $submitlabel);
$buttonarray[] = &$mform->createElement('cancel');
$mform->addGroup($buttonarray, 'buttonar', '', array(' '), false);
$mform->closeHeaderBefore('buttonar');

Once you've done that (for each section, changing 'submitdepartment', as appropriate), you can then do the following to process the form:

$data = $form->get_data();
if (isset($data->submitdepartment)) {
// Process the department fields only
} else if (isset($data->submitsection)) {
// Process the area fields only

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Davo Smith

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

And to add to my explanation a little, to save to the database, do something like this:

$newrecord = new stdClass();
$newrecord->name = $data->dname;
$newrecord->id = $DB->insert_record('tbl_department', $newrecord);

(you can call the fields on the form anything you like, but it is clearer if they match the names in the database; it also means you can just drop the $data object straight into the insert/update_record call, without any extra processing).

In reply to Davo Smith

by Ivn Vai -

@Davo Smith

Thanks for replying. Your idea for buttons worked and now I can properly access only the specific parts of the form when a button is clicked.

Also the new record is getting stored in the database. But Is there a way to just retrieve a field using any of the moodle function.

Like If I have selected 'Retail' from the drop-down and have entered 'Section X' in section name, I want two things to happen after the button being clicked:

1) Save 'Section X' in tbl_sections

2) Retrieve this newly inserted record's id from tbl_sections and retrieve the id of the selected department name from tbl_departments and insert both these ids as a  new record in tbl_mappings.

I wrote this code but obviously it threw an error saying 'Error reading from the database'  Can you spot the error in my code,

else if (isset($data->submitsect))

{

$newrecord->name = $data->sname;

$newrecord->id = $DB->insert_record('tbl_sections', $newrecord);

$deptid = $DB->get_records_sql('SELECT id FROM mdl_tbl_depts WHERE name = "' . $data->selectdeptname . '"');

$sectid = $DB->get_records_sql('SELECT id FROM mdl_tbl_sections WHERE name = "' . $data->sname .'"');

$newmappingrecord = new stdClass();

$newmappingrecord->sectionid = $sectid;

$newmappingrecord->deptid = $deptid;

$newmappingrecord->id = $DB->insert_record('tbl_secttodept', $newmappingrecord);

}

Thanks..

In reply to Ivn Vai

by Davo Smith -

Sorry, I don't know if you fixed this, but the database tables always have the prefix added automatically by the Moodle DB functions.

So, if your prefix is (the default) 'mdl_', then:

$DB->insert_record('tbl_secttodept', $newmappingrecord);

Will result in the record being inserted into the 'mdl_tbl_secttodept' table (assuming you have already created this).

Putting 'tbl_' at the start of a table name is a really bad idea - I only put it in the example to make it clear that it was the name of a database table - I should have explained that more clearly.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Ivn Vai -

@Davo,

Thanks but I did notice that before hand and hence always wrote only my actual table name. But thank you anyway for bringing that to my notice.

In reply to Davo Smith

by Ivn Vai -

I just used the following code to retrieve the value selected from a drop down box but I get the index value at which it is sitting in the drop down instead of the text.

{$deptlist[] = $deptname->name;}
        $mform->addElement('select', 'selectdeptname', get_string('selectdeptname', 'block_hierarchycreation'), $deptlist);

$dname = $data->selectdeptname;

echo 'Dname: ' . $dname;

How do I retrieve the text which is sitting at index 2 instead of the number 2? Please help.

In reply to Ivn Vai

by Hubert Chathi -

Setting the array key will change the value that gets returned.

{$deptlist[$deptname->name] = $deptname->name;}

(You probably don't want to use the name, though.  You should probably use some other index.)

In reply to Hubert Chathi

Ynt: Re: Retrieve value of single form element

by mehmet akif -

hi to all,

I have a problem about moodle form:

// $mform->addElement('text','designername',get_string('designername','enrol_denizbankpos'));

// $mform->addElement('text','designersurname',get_string('designersurname','enrol_denizbankpos'));

// $mform->addElement('text','jobdescription',get_string('job_desc','enrol_denizbankpos'));

// $mform->addElement('text','employeenamesurname',get_string('employeenamesurname','enrol_denizbankpos'));

// $mfrom->addElement('text','designerfeeperminute',get_string('designerfeeperminute','enrol_denizbankpos'));

when I try to add this fields into mfrom,my form does not appear,it does not work,what can I do?this is simple addition to moodle form.thanks in advance.