Adding bilingual content

Adding bilingual content

by Gareth C -
Number of replies: 4

Our Moodle 2.1.1 site is bilingual. How do I go about adding resources/activities that will appear in the correct language once selected by the student, e.g. on the homepage?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gareth C

Re: Adding bilingual content

by Przemyslaw Stencel -

You can turn on the multilang filter on your site. This will enable you to enter alternate text in different languages. A user then only sees the text in the language they have selected for viewing the site.

For example, if you enter:

<span lang="en" class="multilang">Welcome to Glamorgan Welsh for Adults Centre</span>
      <span lang="cy" class="multilang">Croeso i Ganolfan Cymraeg i Oedolion Morgannwg</span>

only one of these texts will be displayed, depending on the current language for the user.

You can find detailed instructions here.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

Parthed: Re: Adding bilingual content

by Gareth C -

Diolch/Thanks! That'll be really useful for the future.

In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Adding bilingual content

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

the teacher would have to put in the content in that language?

Yes smile There is no Moodle Translator implemented yet.

BTW knowing the limits of the multilang filter, I would probably suggest having two separate courses - one for each language. There are drawbacks of that approach but at the end, your life will be probably easier and you have much better control over what students get.