Access to the same topic by multiple groupings

Access to the same topic by multiple groupings

by Natalie Santos -
Number of replies: 2

I have a course where different users need to access various topics within that course.  For example, User A will need to access all the topics in the course, i.e Topic 1, 2 and 3.  User B will need to access only topic 3 and User C will need to access topics 2 and 3.  I have been able to get User A to view all the topics and User B to view individual topics but do not know how to get User C to view multiple topics.

In this course I created Groups for Users A, B and C and allocated seperate enrolment keys for these Groups. I also created 3 Groupings for the various users.

On the Specific topics I have selected Seperate groups from the Group mode in the Common Module Settings and then selected the specific groupng from the Grouping drop down list.

I am using Moodle 2.0.4+ (Build: 20110907) on Windows 2003 Server, MSSQL 2005 and PHP version 5.3.9. I have enabled the "Enable group members only" option under Experimental Settings.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Natalie Santos

Re: Access to the same topic by multiple groupings

by Stefan Nychka -

Hi.

First, if by topics you mean sections, this to the best of my knowledge can't be done (at least not in 2.1.3 or earlier).
If you mean modules (activities or resources) it can be done.

I'm assuming your issue isn't setting up groups and groupings, but instead using them to achieve your goal.  So, definitely use groups and groupings, keeping in mind an activity can only "have" 1 grouping at a time, but you can have any number of groups in groupings.

In your example, the only way I can think of is to have 1 grouping per Topic (A, B and C below are groups):

1. Topic1_grouping
    • groups:  A
    • module: Topic 1

2. Topic2_grouping
    • groups: A, C
    • module Topic 2

3. Topic3_grouping
    • groups: A, B, C
    • module Topic 3

Note, too, separate groups can mean very different things depending on the module, and is likely not directly relevant here, although there may be weird side-effcts.  It's too complex to address until your module is known.

Cheers

(at least not in 2.1.3 or earlier)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stefan Nychka

Re: Access to the same topic by multiple groupings

by Natalie Santos -

Thanks for the respomse, I will experiment with your suggestion to see if it meets my requirements.