bringing a standalone html course into moodle

bringing a standalone html course into moodle

by John Kostrey -
Number of replies: 4

Hello, and thanks in advance for any insite, it is appreciated.  I am using moodle 2.2.1.

I am brand new to moodle.  I have a standalone course built within html with external css, javascript, etc.  The course has built in navigation to get from one page to the next.  Is there a way to import the course so that it maintains it's structure within moodle? I would like to bring it into moodle for it's SCORM abilities as well as making it more accessible.

THANKS

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Kostrey

Re: bringing a standalone html course into moodle

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - but is it an HTML website or is it a SCORM pack? Or is it a SCORM pack inside an HTML website? If it is a simple (or not so simple) website you can import them by following the instructions here or in the documentation FAQ here

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Kostrey -

Thank you Mary, my CBT is currently a standalone HTML based training module.  I think I want a SCORM pack inside html.  It has Captivate files that I want to become graded quizzes through SCORM.  I guess where I really need to do research is figuring out exactly how SCORM works.  During my 5+ years of Instructional Development my job requirements have only gone as far as changing a few settings within Captivate to make them SCORM compliant, not having any part in the LMS or SCORM pack setup.  

Is it more typical to bring html modules into Moodle through the zipped file technique or just setting up the html website and attaching it?  If bringing html into moodle is the most common, do you recommend a specific resolution?  I'd assume very low.. maybe 640x480?  I know 1024x768 is generally a current web standard, safely designing is generally around 960px wide, but with the addition of the moodle side bar I'd assume a safe number well below that... sorry for so many additional questions.  I will continue research, and any advice to make the process quicker would be greatly appreciated!  Have a great day

In reply to John Kostrey

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

OK-next question: why do you need an HTML site wrapped around a SCORM pack? You can upload SCORM directly into a Moodle course and use the editors in the Moodle course to explain what they have to do and where they have to go. It just seems not much point using a Moodle course if you are just going to upload an HTML website with SCORM inside it.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by John Kostrey -

Where I stand is I have a fully functional html standalone course with Captivate quizzes that there is currently no way to collect grading information from... my thought was to bring it into Moodle so that A) Captivate files can be graded and B) students can have an account and log-in to take the course and additional courses in the near future... I clearly don't know what I am talking about when it comes to setting up SCORM and will have to do research to figure out exactly what I need to do.  I will spare you of any additional stupid questions until I have a firmer grasp of the SCORM setupsmile  Thanks again Mary