Packages in new contrib database?

Packages in new contrib database?

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi -

Having trouble with the new guidelines and standards for submitting contrib code. The preferred way is to create a Git repo with the Frankenstyle naming convention (moodle-[plugin type]_[plugin name]).

But, how do I handle this with a package of plug-ins? One of the ones I need to commit consists of three module plug-ins and one local plug-in. While each of the three modules can be installed separately or in combination, none of them can be installed without the local plug-in.

Using the preferred methd, I would need to create four repos. But this makes it difficult for the end user, and requires them to download at least two (one local / one module) for anything to work. Also, I don't think there is anyway to enter this configuration in a usable way in the moduled and plugins database.

Anyone have ideas?

mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Packages in new contrib database?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I think the approved method is to create separate plugins, and then use the new $plugin->dependencies bit in version.php to make sure that admins cannot install a broken sub-set of the plugins.

The plan is, in due course, to make the plugins database capable of packaging groups of dependant plugins, and also David Mudrak is working on a built in plugin manager admin tool for Moodle.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Tim -

The "dependencies" will definitely help, but the struggle is really with the plugins database itself. Creating four entries in the database will make the entire process more difficult for end users. In fact Git users would find the process easier!

Since the plugins database is supposed to be for non-Git users, I think we really need to solve this. You mentioned that plan is to "make the plugins database capable of packaging groups of dependant plugins". Is there a tracker or other documentation for this?

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I don't really know where I saw that. Probably passing comments in forum threads. I think there are also some MDLSITE issues. I expect the only detailed plans live in the heads of Martin/Marina/David, so you may need a cranial saw to see them.