Nanogong: "could not connect to server"

Nanogong: "could not connect to server"

by Ulrike Albers -
Number of replies: 7

Hallo everybody,

I have Nanogong installed on Moodle 1.9.9, and it used to work fine.

Now, I hadn't used it for some time, and when I tried to listen to an old recording, or tried to record a new one, Nanogong told me "could not connect to server"...

Does anybody have an idea ?

Thank you a lot. I wish you all a happy new year !

Ulrike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ulrike Albers

Re: Nanogong: "could not connect to server"

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo,

Nobody can help ? Does anybody have Nanogong installed ?

When I try to record, it says: "failed to upload". Coul it be a Server problem rather than Nanogong or Moodle ?

Thank you for any answer,

Ulrike

by Norbert Berger -

Hi Ulrike,

Did you upgrade and make sure you are using the correct html area patch? There are different patches for each incremental version between 1.9.6 and 1.9.10 at least.  Using the wrong one has been known to cause the symptoms you describe.

Hope this helps

Norbert G. Berger

by Ulrike Albers -

I just found out others had the same problem:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=170422#p843774

by Mike Smith -

Hi Ulrike,

Yes, this problem pops up very regularly.  Although there may be multiple causes, the first thing to do is make sure you have the correct version for your Moodle.  Also, it helps to isolate what is wrong by maintaining an identical version of Moodle and all plugins on a local host (using LAMP, WAMP, or MAMP).  Then at least you can tell if the problem is with the plugin or not. 

Personally, I think it is some kind of server permission problem with Javascript although other people have posted that it is caused by browser permissions.

Nanogong in Moodle 2 doesn't seem to be stable as yet, and this is why we are staying with Moodle 1.9.

Good luck!

Mike Smith
Brisbane, Australia

In reply to Mike Smith

by Ulrike Albers -

Hallo,

Thank you so much for your answer, Mike !

The version should be the good one, as it used to work fine (and I haven't change anything since then). I'm afraid I won't be able to run Moodle on a local host - I'm not an informatician, sorry I hope I don't waste your time.

I'll write to my server's support to ask them wether it could be there, I 'll come back after !

Thanks again !

Ulrike

by Mike Smith -

Hi again,

OK yes, your IT support may be able to say if they changed any server settings that might have affected the Nanogong connection.  If your webhost is part of your organisation then they might be able to help you track this down, especially if it was working at some stage recently.

I recommend you look at the idea of setting up a local version of Moodle, even though you are not an "informatician"  - I like that word! smile  - for a few reasons:

• it's probably easier than you think and people will gladly help if you ask,
  • you will be able to safely explore extensions and plugins as well as isolating problems such as this Nanogong one,
  • you will be able to develop course material offline and upload them (very useful for quiz development),
  • it can help you store offline backups of your courses and material, and
  • you will become more informed generally about Moodle and similar web applications so you can make better decisions about your e-learning strategy and sort throught the advice you may receive from others - particularly for webhosting.

Once you get a local installation going you will find that it is very similar to working online, but you will be surprised at how much more is possible.  It's a good investment in effort as a Moodle-based teacher.

There are several ways to get started with a local installation.  The Moodle Documentaion provides easy installation versions for Mac here:

http://download.moodle.org/macosx/

and Windows here:

http://download.moodle.org/windows/

If you decide to do this and you need help just ask.  Some of the documentation makes it look harder than it actually is.

Cheers,
Mike

In reply to Mike Smith

by Ulrike Albers -

Thank you Mike !

I really hope I'll have some time to do that. I've got your advise, and the links -thanks again.

My server support is checking the issue, maybe they'll find something...

Cheers !

Ulrike