Disabling Recent Files repository and forcing files into Private files

Disabling Recent Files repository and forcing files into Private files

by Kalin Wilburn -
Number of replies: 2

I am working with teachers to move their current courses in 1.9 over to our new 2.1 Moodle.  The problem we are encountering is that their course files are automatically going into the Recent Files area and not directly into their Private Files.  If we disable the Recent Files will this force their files into their Private Files area?  I don't want them to have to move over each file individually from the Recent Files into their Private Files because some of them have TONS of files.  If the disabling isn't going to fix this is there a simpler way to move all their files from Recent to Private in one foul swoop??

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kalin Wilburn

Re: Disabling Recent Files repository and forcing files into Private files

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there.  No - the file repositories don't quite work like that. There is some documentation here http://docs.moodle.org/22/en/Repositories and this video might help in terms of teachers moving to Moodle 2.

Basically, private files are a repository in themselves. You can store stuff in there but as soon as you bring it out of your private files and onto your course page the file in question will move to the server files as part of the course (and recent files holds the last 50 of your displayed files)

When you say their "course files" do you mean their files in new courses in Moodle? Or do you  mean the files brought over in the upgrade of the course from 1.9 to 2. Because I would have thought they would belong to the legacy course files area of the course. What do you have in there?

Why is it important for them to have their files in their private files area?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Disabling Recent Files repository and forcing files into Private files

by Kalin Wilburn -

We are having them move their own courses over from 1.9 to the 2.1 Moodle.  We don't have the legacy files repository turned on.  So when they import their courses from 1.9 into 2.1 it automatically dumps their files for their 1.9 course into the Recent Files.  From what I have read on Moodle.org the recent files is only a temp place and will eventually dump all the files that are in it and I don't want them to lose any of their files so I thought that if they placed them in their Private Files they couldn't be dumped unless they decided to dump/delete them.  Is my thinking incorrect on this?