Auto-create groups by last name, first name possible?

Auto-create groups by last name, first name possible?

by Hartmut Scherer -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

Encouraged by a recent post about adding a leading zero to auto-creating groups, I would like to ask whether it is possible to add a new naming scheme (last name, first name) to the two currently available generic schemes?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

Re: Auto-create groups by last name, first name possible?

by Itamar Tzadok -

It is possible, but given the current implementation it will require more work than the leading zeros hack.

If the purpose is to separate participants in an activity wouldn't a designated "group" mode be better than personal groups? smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi itamar,

Thank you for your fast reply. I was just curious, how to do this. At times I set up one student with one group for journaling with the database module or for access to personal files. As class sizes are small, I have no problem to do this manually.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Itamar Tzadok -

A private journaling application can be done in the dataform. What remains is restricting access to certain users. Currently you need to create groups and grouping for the designated users. But this should probably better handled by module restrict access settings (after all, grouping is essentially an access setting in the course level). If hacking I would hack the latter. smile