what's a floating number?

what's a floating number?

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Sorry for my Huge ignorance, but one of the database fields is "number" and it says (quote)

Number

Stores a floating number. Examples:

What does this mean? I don't understand and have never used this fieldmixed

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: what's a floating number?

by Itamar Tzadok -

As opposed to integer which is confined to whole numbers (1, 2, 13 etc.), float allows for decimals and as such has a floating . (dot) which is floating in the sense that it can move along the number:

smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah I see- so you it just means a number with a decimal point then?smile (I am a Word person not a number person!) What sort of use might that be in a database?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Itamar Tzadok -

Well, I suppose it may be useful if you want to record information such as height in feet. Using just whole numbers in such a case might give a very wrong impression (for better or worse). smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Robert Brenstein -
This should probably refer to real numbers. Fixed or floating point number (not floating number) refers to computational representations of a real number. That is a programmers' view. For users, they are really just real numbers, that is numbers that can have not only integer but also decimal part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_numbers
In reply to Robert Brenstein

by Itamar Tzadok -

And while we're at it, it may be worthwhile to consider also complex numbers which can have not only real but also imaginary part. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Mary Cooch -

I'm more confused than I was when I askedbig grin

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Robert Brenstein -
The quoted description should say

Number -- Stores a real number. Examples: ...

If that field can store imaginary numbers, then it should be:

Number -- Stores a real or imaginary number. Examples: ...

All examples are for real numbers, so the latter may not apply.