MC - new question type after all - introducing variation by randomization

MC - new question type after all - introducing variation by randomization

by Itamar Tzadok -
Number of replies: 4

I suppose it is not entirely unreasonable to make the interface of an online question similar to that of the respective paper question. I guess the main problem of such approach is that it imposes too many paper-like constraints on something that could otherwise be very flexible. The MC question seems (again) a case in point. So I've drafted a new MC qtype which takes an alternate approach.

The gist of the approach is that you can enter in one question many correct choices and many distractors and then tell the question how many of each to select randomly and display in the attempt.

The illustration demonstrates this for the classic 4 choice 1 correct mc (other avaiable methods are the multi and the multi all or nothing). Note in the question settings the number of correct set to 1 and number of distractors set to 3 (it is also possible tot let the question pick these numbers randomly in which case the number of choices may change from one attempt to another). The more items in each section the greater the variation.

Below the settings there is the corrects section with a few correct answers. In the one answer only method there is no need to set the fractions and they can remain on default.

Further below is the distractors section with a few distractors:

And then two attempts of the same mc single question display different sets of choices:

smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

Re: MC - new question type after all - introducing variation by randomization

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Itamar,

This is interesting, especially with "images questions". Could you provide some examples of text-only questions?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Itamar Tzadok -

Unless I miss your point, it's the same example without images, only names:

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Pierre Pichet -

Hi Itamar,

Interesting project.

And then you will need to store the responses as some kind of datasets perhaps similar to

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// ABSTRACT SUPERCLASS FOR QUSTION TYPES THAT USE DATASETS //

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// /

** * @package questionbank * @subpackage questiontypes */ require_once($CFG->libdir.'/filelib.php');

define("LITERAL", "1");

define("FILE", "2");

define("LINK", "3");

The calculated question types which are the only one question type to use this structure, use the "LITERAL" to store numbers.

Even if your needs cannot be fulfilled by that old pre moodle 1,6 structure, we could think that the author (is somebody remember who?) was a visionary wink 

Pierre

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by Itamar Tzadok -

Not sure why I should need to do anything special with the responses. Could you explain a bit more?

The above does not yet require datasets but it will get there soon. smile