[Theme] Zebra 2.1

[Theme] Zebra 2.1

by Danny Wahl -
Number of replies: 58

Zebra has finally made the leap to version 2.1!

• Completely rewritten custommenu (twice!)
  • New colors, logos, styles
  • Sane settings names (firstcolor -> linkcolor, etc...)
  • Completely rewritten strings (settings can now be understood)
  • Completely rewritten CSS, standardized, diffable, TOC, alphabetical, organized, commented
  • New Forum layout style
  • tons of trivial bumps, nudges, and adjustments

Here's how much has changed since v2.0.6 (previous plugin repository version):

363 files changed, 7139 insertions(+), 3432 deletions(-)

It's available in the plugins repository: http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=theme_zebra

You can demo it at http://moodle.iyware.com

I strongly recommend that anyone using v2.0.6 (or greater or lesser) upgrade to to this version.  I also recommend that anyone that hasn't used Zebra to try it out :P

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Danny Wahl

Re: [Theme] Zebra 2.1

by Joseph Thibault -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I like how the page layout changes with browser size.  Very cool!

In reply to Joseph Thibault

by Danny Wahl -

That pagelayout.css is extremely modular, so you could make a "parent" theme with just that and make any existing theme (standard, canvas) depend on it and it will work with them too. - just replace the settings hooks with the actual values.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Danny Wahl -

From a request the lib has been changed to allow Moodle pix_url(), full path, or relative path for all images.  This hasn't been pushed into the Moodle repository, but it is commited at github.  Thanks to Richard Oelmann for the tip on getting it programmed.

Also, if there's any other theme designers that are interested in integrating this type of setting into their theme I've done a writeup on it at my blog:

http://iyware.com/adding-custom-images-in-moodle-2-0-themes/

I hope it's okay to out-link, if it's not I'll try to move the post contents into the Moodle Docs.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Thanks for the heads up on this topic! smile

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Danny Wahl -

No problem, though I'm a little confused by the php... (did I miss some code?)

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Daniel,

I think you've done a great job with the write up. smile

Which bit of the php are you finding confusing? I can't see that you've missed anything, but I'll happily take another look and see if we can get to a full understanding between us.

The logic seems to work, as does the code itself:

If the setting value is null, keep the default, otherwise check if its an http url or a relative url, in which case keep the user string as input. If its none of these it must be a moodle style reference so put the user string into the moodle code and use the output from that.

About the only thing I normally do differently is in the settings.php I would set the default as a variable to pass e.g.

$default = 'logo/logo';
$setting = new admin_setting_configtext($name, $title, $description, $default, PARAM_URL);

but that's a very minor thing.

Richard

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Daniel,

The stray php you saw in my last comment was invisible to me, so I deleted the part which explaind it. I was unaware it was actually there.

I edited the post last night so what was there is gone, hence Richards comments! 

What I was trying to tell you is that the output code for the "MAIN CONTENT TOKEN" has been changed in Moodle 2.2 (see image)

Just incase you had not heard or noticed...smile

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Thanks Mary - both for the clarification about my comment and for the heads up about the theme changes. I know I hadn't spotted that yet. It makes it more consistent between the main content and the blocks, and other $OUTPUT style lines

Does this change mean that any contributed themes will need to be altered to work with 2.2 - and separate versions with the previous code maintained for 2.0/2.1 - or will there be an alternative such as some change over period where both will be recognised, or the newer code version back-ported into 2.1?

Rich

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

I don't know the answer to that.  But I suspect we are all going to have to update our themes to add this new code plus the version.php.

Oh joy! smile

Mary

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Danny Wahl -

Just bumped to 2.1.1 major changes:

• Changed to use new core render output method
  • rebuilt page-layout.css (rebase) on H5BP "mobile first" principles
  • Eliminated several settings as result of the above
  • changed defaults to 481px (two col) and 769px (three col) from 600px and 800px respectively
In reply to Danny Wahl

by Danny Wahl -

version 2.1.2 is available in the plugins repository.

It's marked as requiring 2.2 - because I don't know if the API changes are Moodle 2.1 compatible.  Lots of page layout changes from 2.1.1.  Couple more settings removed as they weren't necessary any longer.

New screenshots added for version 2.1 in the plugins repository (look for the Mahara cameo tongueout)

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Richard Oelmann -

Danny,

Thanks for all the hard work on this great theme - Loving the 'rebase' you created which forms the basis of the pagelayout for this on all the screen sizes.

Downloaded it from github last night and trying it out today smile

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Danny Wahl -

Thanks Richard, I just pushed a ton of changes to rebase [no-settings branch] (here) and ubiquity (here) - it's actually a lot simpler to use now, only about 1/3 of the css as before for both the page layout and the colors.

I did find one bug in this layout:  if you're using different column background colors than your main content and your region-post is taller than region-main then region-pre won't grow to match the height of region-post and main, so it looks a little weird.

For example you would see this if you moved your settings block to the right and expanded a bunch of dropdowns.  I'm guessing there's a ton of ways to work around this, but I can't seem to find a way to fix it without editing the page layouts (which rebase doesn't do).

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -

Hi Daniel,

If rebase uses base theme layout then your region pr and post come from the #page-content and #region-post-box so try colouring thos in red abd blue and you will see what I mean.

Cheers

M

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Mary,

Zebra uses the code from Daniel's Rebase to give the flexibility over the @media screen size calls and excludes the pagelayout.css from the base parent theme to make this work.

@Daniel, I'm just using a single colour on my theme for the college, so that won't be an issue for me, but I will take a look at it and see if I can help find a 'cure' for others who may want different colours over the next couple of days smile

Rich

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Tammy Moore -

I am trying out themes now on my local test Moodle. I like Zebra the best so far. One thing that I am stuck on is that as I moved the sidebar blocks around using the move tool I removed all the blocks in the right column. Now when I use the move tool there are no options to get the right side bar back. I am probably missing the obvious, but I am new enough to Moodle 2 to not be sure just what I need to do. In Moodle 1.9 there was a right and left arrow to move from side to side when using the move tool.

In reply to Tammy Moore

by Mary Evans -

No you are not missing the obvious, it is just that Zebra has not got the fix in the CSS. If you take a look at moodle/theme/base/style/pagelayout.css you will see towards the bottom of the page something like...

/** Moving block when side-post-only **/
.blocks-moving.side-post-only #page-content #region-main-box {left:200px;width:200%;}
.blocks-moving.side-post-only #page-content #region-post-box {margin-left:-400px;}
.blocks-moving.side-post-only #page-content #region-main {margin-left:400px;}
.blocks-moving.side-post-only #page-content #region-pre {left:200px;width:200px;}
.blocks-moving.side-post-only #page-content #region-post {left:0px;width:200px;}

EDIT (27the december 2011):  Please DO NOT use the above css as Daniel has now posted the correct code for the ZEBRA 2.1 theme which you will find HERE

All you need to do is copy this and replace the existing css mark-up of theme/zebra/style/pagelayout.css and I think you will find that this will fix the problem.

You will need to purge all caches too and don't forget to refresh your browser afterwards...

Site Administration > Development > Purge all caches

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Danny Wahl -

This will be added ASAP!  There's so many little 'gotchas' I keep finding out about mixed

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -

Perhaps I should add you as watcher to the tracker issues I keep setting up, and fixing with Dietmar. The more we fix the more we uncover. I'll add you to the pagelayout one as that's important and we are planning a lot of work for the new year.

Cheers

Mary smile

In reply to Mary Evans

by Forrest Gaston -

Mary,

Love you theme, thanks for the hard work.

A quick question, I'm playing with the theme in Moodle 2.2 and when I load my main page in IE 8, it appears to be a single column view only, ie the menu bars etc are way down the page, which is a totally different look than in Firefox.  Can you tell me what I'm missing etc.

Thanks again,

Forrest Gaston

In reply to Forrest Gaston

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Forrest,

Although Mary does work exceptionally hard in supporting everyone on the forums, and does produce many beautiful themes, in this case, Zebra is created by Danny Wahl smile

Unfortunately, IE8 does not support the @media calls used to adjust the pagelayout. The link here has a section about half way down about browser support for  css media queries.

Richard

In reply to Forrest Gaston

by Danny Wahl -

I've spent the last couple of weeks setting up a full suite of Windows VMs to do proper IE testing, and now that that's ready I'm ready to start squashing some IE specific display bugs, and I have a couple of solutions I'm going to try to implement soon:

IE6: Chrome Frame prompt setting

IE7,8: respond.js setting

This might not be for a while though, as I have one week of vacation starting tomorrow, followed by a 3 week campus move (yay, new office!) and then another week of vacation.

In reply to Tammy Moore

by Danny Wahl -

I've just pushed the commit for this to github (see it here) - I'll probably release a new version soon in the plugins db too.  Please don't use the code Mary posted because it won't work (I tried sad) the new code is pretty simple though and works in all 3 column views.

Also, I only made a patch for region pre (meaning no content on the right) because I couldn't seem to introduce a way to have region post (no content on the left) or content only, mostly because when you turn editing on to move a block the "add a block" block appears. block.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Mary Evans -

Thanks Daniel,

I have just added an EDIT to my comment above and refered people to your GIT Hub.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Dominick Inglese -

Hello,

how can I make the drop down menus on the top like this url:

http://moodle.iyware.com/

Sincerely,

Dominick

In reply to Dominick Inglese

by Danny Wahl -

My dev site is using the default settings for the menu "none" and the color scheme "none" as well as the default colors - the menu should look exactly the same out of the box.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Dominick Inglese -

hello,

I am using moodle 2.2 ~

is it possible to use this zebra theme without the ads on the bottom?

Sincerely,

Dominick 

by Danny Wahl -

In the theme settings page the very last setting is "hide footer logos", just check that box and save.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Tim Pohlman -

What a GREAT theme!!  First thank you very much for sharing this with us.

I have a possible easy question.  I am currently only showing the theme logo and background when I am in designer mode.  As soon as I unclick designer mode the theme logo and background are no longer present.  Not sure if it's something I'm missing or not.

Moodle 2.1.1 and I downloaded Zebra (Stable) from iyWare.com

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Site in reference: http://moodle.usevs.org/course/view.php?id=15

In reply to Tim Pohlman

by Danny Wahl -

I've just visited it and I see "Upper Sandusky Home of the Rams" as the logo - so that seems to be working.

You could try two things: purge all caches in Moodle (see the top setting in the theme for the link, or search the admin block for "purge") and clear all caches in the browser you're using.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Tim Pohlman -

I had "Theme designer mode" on so it wasn't cached on the server.  I have turned the it off and the background and logo disappear.  Ihave purged the cache under "Development" and have cleared the "Theme Cache" also.

I thought it may have been that I didn't have the .png at the end of logo but that didn't make a difference.  I have tried it with and without the .png and get the same result.  I can leave it on "Theme designer mode" on but I guess it doesn't run as fast?

I'm a nubee so please forgive and assist if you can.  Thanks as always.

In reply to Tim Pohlman

by Danny Wahl -

I see the problem, please note that moodle format doesn't use a file extension (see the default: core/background)

In reply to Tim Pohlman

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

At a guess, I would say that you have not selected the theme yet. Being a newbie you may think that the settings page is where you select the theme.  But then again, I may be wrong.

Check if this is your default theme in Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme selector in that page you should only see a screenshot of Zebra theme in the top most area of the main body of the page. Below this you should see 3 sections for Legacy/Mobile/Tablet ... if you see this then you have it right. If not tell me what you see in the Theme selector page.

Assuming the logo is in the correct pix folder in yout theme...that is moodle/theme/zebra/pix/logo/logo.png

is that the correct folder?  If not then this is the problem.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Tim Pohlman -

Hello again,

I had solved my problem only to create a larger one.  I left the debugging on to allow the images to show but I have received complaints from several community members about the site loading slow so I'm going to make one last ditch effort to keep the Zebra theme that I REALLY like.

I have made a short video, 1 minute, explaining and showing how the background and logo images do not appear when outside of designer mode.  I have downloaded and put up a fresh Zebra theme and still no go on the display of the background.  Just not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!

video is hosted on our school website:

(Edited by Mary Evans - original submission Thursday, 8 March 2012, 12:22 AM)

In reply to Tim Pohlman

by Mary Evans -

Hi Tom, I had to edit the link as it was trying to embed itself into the page, so I changed the way the link works.

Sorry about that. Anyway looks like your site is not accessible...least ways I couldn't...it kept timing out.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Tim Pohlman -

I was attempting to fix it myself.  So I took it off line for a bit.  It's up again now.

Thanks   moodle. usevs. org

In reply to Tim Pohlman

by Danny Wahl -

Well here's what I can tell so far:

the images that DO work (the little home icon) look like this:

url("image.php?theme=zebra&image=menu%2Fhome_icon&rev=742&component=theme")

And the background images that don't work look like this:

url("http://moodle.usevs.org/theme/image.php?theme=accentuate&amp;image=logo%2Flogo&amp;rev=742&amp;component=theme") <- your logo
url("http://moodle.usevs.org/theme/image.php?theme=accentuate&amp;image=core%2Fbackground&amp;rev=742&amp;component=theme") <- your background

I have no idea where it's getting the theme name "accentuate" - but I'm guessing that's causing the problems.  In fact if I change it to say "zebra" using Firebug, it instantly works.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Peter DeBruyn -

I am interested in widening the right column on this theme, can someone help me with what edits I should make?

In reply to Peter DeBruyn

by Danny Wahl -

how wide do you want it to be, because there's going to be a bit of (simple) math involved.  Let me know and I'll figure it out for you.

Maybe I'll add column width as a setting...

by Danny Wahl -

Done, that was actually pretty easy.  There's now a setting called 'colwidths' that allows you to define the width of region-pre and region-post.  Please notice that it's in pixels and you should NOT type 'px' just the number or it'll probably be REALLY messed up.

default is '200'

Also, this won't get pushed into the Moodle repository for a bit because I'm working on a lot of other stuff for this theme ATM and it wouldn't be stable, but if you want it now get it from github.

*The stuff that's "not stable" won't break your site, there's just some other unfinished settings like respond.js and Google Chrome Frame - they'll be in the settings page but not do anything.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Peter DeBruyn -

That was great, thanks!   Ultimatley I think I will want region post at 300 and region pre at 200.  If there is an easy way to set the region-pre at 200 while the setting is set to 300 I would appreciate that info..

Thanks for all of your work on this theme

by Danny Wahl -

I will have to look at that - it's going to mean giving each region its own setting, but sometimes having region-post use the region-pre setting because it will be on the left side underneath region-pre

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Dominick Inglese -

Hello everyone!

I am using moodle 2.2 on a web hosting environment.

I am making a short answer (i.e fill-in-the-blank) quiz and the spacing is too cramped for this quiz.

How can I make the line-height bigger in quizzes only? I am refering to line spacing – the amout of space between lines. 

I added this to the custom CSS in the theme settings section: 

body {
line-height: 2 !important;
}

but this made everything on the entire site have a larger space between lines (including side-menus).

But I only want the spacing in the quiz (or at least in the body of the courses and not the side menus etc)

I would post the url but you have to register in order to take the quiz ~ but here is the url anyway:

http://englishusingsongs.info/mod/quiz/attempt.php?attempt=20

Sincerely, 

by Danny Wahl -

try changing it from body to .path-mod-quiz that should work

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Dominick Inglese -

Hello Daniel,

thank you ".path-mod-quiz" worked! 

on a side note – in firefox the blocks show up during the quiz - even though I have it set to not show blocks during the quiz.

In safari and chrome the blocks behave correctly (i.e. they don't appear during the quiz). I don't know if this is related to the theme - haven't tested this out on all three browsers yet- but I just wanted to mention it ~

again thanks for the reply!

by Danny Wahl -

Glad that worked and thanks for the heads up I'll look into that.

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Gerry Jenkins -

Hi, I am having a problem on in the QuestionBank when I preview a question, the question and answers show up under the Change options form. See picture:

preview question from Questionbank

I have these custom css:

#page-header { background-color:white;}
#page-footer { background-color:white;}

#page-border-wrapper a:link { text-decoration:none;}
#page-border-wrapper a:visited { text-decoration:none;}
#page-border-wrapper a:hover { text-decoration:none;}
#page-border-wrapper a:active { text-decoration:none;}
#page-border-wrapper a:focus { text-decoration:none;}
.region-content p { margin-bottom: 6px; }

The column and page max settings are at the default.
What is happening to cause this? it is happening in safari, firefox, and chrome, all new versions on mac os.

In reply to Gerry Jenkins

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

Can you switch to Standard theme and tell me if it is the same there too, or only in this theme?

If only Zebra theme, then it has to be something to do with the pagelayout, probably CSS related.

Tell me something about the page you are vewing this in. Has it got any side blocks. For example: Both sides? Left side only? Right side only? None?

Mary

by Danny Wahl -

that looks ugly! Sorry about that! Is there somewhere where I can get a dummy question bank so I can took at this myself?

by Danny Wahl -

Please tell me if this is different than what you did:

Went to the quiz, then on the settings block clicked "question bank" and then "questions" then I picked a question (multiple choice) and clicked on the little "Preview" icon - which opened a popup window with the content attached:

This is using Firefox 10 on Mountain Lion dev preview.  I'm also using my dev site (moodle.iyware.com) which runs the latest code from github.  I will push an update into the Moodle repository soon (2.2) which may or may not fix this.

I guess the short answer is I can't replicate it...  I think answering Mary's question of if it happens in all themes would be helpful

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Sami Hwang -

Hello all,

I really like this theme and would like to use it for my course.

Is it possible for me to customize menu and add it on the left and right column.

For example, in Daniel's site, main menu and navigation on the left column and claendar and github activity on the right column in his course (http://moodle.iyware.com/)

As far as I know, github activity is not a defaulty category. How can I add this kind of customized menu?

In reply to Sami Hwang

by Danny Wahl -

Hi Sami,

What you are calling "menus" in Moodle terminology are known as "blocks" and blocks are not tied to a theme, so you can do what you're asking with any theme, not just this one.

But this is how you would accomplish it:

Turn "Editing Mode" on and you will see some new control icons on the individual blocks.  One is a silver icon with arrows pointing in all four directions.  This is the "move block" option where you can move blocks from the left to the right (and vice-versa)

You will also see a new option that says "add a block" and you can select a block type and add it to the page.

My "Github Activity" block is simply an "RSS Feed" block that subscribes to the RSS feed from github and I gave it the name "Github Activity" instead of "RSS Feed"

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Sami Hwang -

Hello Daniel,

You are right. It is "blocks" ^^ I got it. 

Thank you for your answer and clarification. 

I might need to ask a couple of questions for a while. 

You did a fantastic job. 

P. S : I can apply this theme to Mobile and table comptuers since it uses  

media query.  Am I Right? 

In reply to Danny Wahl

by Dominick Inglese -
Hello, I'm trying to adjust the line height in an embedded answer quiz but the code is getting stripped. I am not sure if this is a theme related question or if this has to do with tiny mce editor. How can I adjust the line height of sentences to make it seem like 1.5 or 2 point spacing instead of always single space lines?

by Mary Evans -

At the top of the Themes Forum page is a list of tutorials. There you will find a link to a video tutorial that shows you how to set up and use Firebug. I suggest you check that out and then you will be able to fix the Quiz line-height problem. The tutorial will tell you how to resolve the issue. Although the example in the turorial is different, the method is the same whatever part of Moodle you want to fix.

By the way if you are using the ZEBRA theme then the resulting CSS you find after watching the tutorial, can be added to ZEBRA's Custom CSS settings page.

Don's forget to Purge all caches before you test your Quiz to see if it works.

Hope that helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Dominick Inglese -

thanks for the quick reply Mary.

I looked at the firebug tutorial and it was very helpful.

I ended up using this code and it seems to work:

<p style="font-size: 14px; line-height: 2.2em; text-align: center;">