Easy start for setting up a lesson

Easy start for setting up a lesson

by K S Ramachandran -
Number of replies: 5

I have 12 chapters (or topics as they are called in Moodle) in my hard disk on Math in the form of a .pdf file. Now I wish to simply start off my Moodle lesson plan as though I am teaching in a physical class, by copy/ pasting the .pdf file contents one by one in my Moodle lesson. The idea is that I set up the jumps for the flow of the lesson later on.

I am however not able to simply copy/ paste the stuff from sections of the .pdf file to the html format in the lesson page under "add a content page". The .pdf file has many formulae, pictures, Math symbols and so on...

Can someone help with their ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to K S Ramachandran

Re: Easy start for setting up a lesson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This isn't a particularly good workaround but you can take screenshots of your pdf pages and then upload them as images into the content pages.

In reply to K S Ramachandran

by Itamar Tzadok -

Try exporting the pdf to html and then copying the content from the html file. You may need to copy the actual html and paste it into the moodle editor in html mode to preserve all formatting and special content. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Itamar,

the OP wrote "The .pdf file has many formulae, pictures, Math symbols and so on..." so copy-pasting HTML into the moodle editor will certainly not preserve those non-text elements.

I would advise the OP to forget about transferring his original PDFs into the Lesson activity, and to look for alternative ways to display his PDF files into his moodle course.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Itamar Tzadok -

It depends on how acrobat exports pdf to html. Formulae and math symbols are not necessarily html unfriendly. As for pictures, it is possible that the pdf export works in similar way to the portfolio rich html export which exports pictures as files and rewrite the links in the page. I don't know. It may be worth exploring. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by K S Ramachandran -

Thanks for your reply. I tried simple copy/ paste; I also tried converting the .pdf file to html pages using some free online conversion facility. They appear fine in html but when I paste it in my Moodle content page, the formatting and images are lost. For example, a picture of 4 children A,B,C,D is shown and the question asked is "who is the tallest?" If the images are lost, I have to manually insert each image from the .pdf file which is time consuming.

I am yet to try Mary's suggestion re. pasting the whole thing as an image.

I know that this is not the "classic" way to start but I am trying to check where the student failed to grasp what in the text book. Any Moodle expert willing to collaborate is welcome. I would rather stick to Math!

Kind regards Rama