The quiz stops after the student answers

by John Rop -
Number of replies: 10

Hi everyone!

I have a critical question.

I am making a fifth-grade quizes, and I have an important need that if the student answers 5 questions in a row, that are wrong it stops, so they wouldn't have to suffer through the whole quiz.

Is there a way to do that?

thank you very much!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Rop

Re: The quiz stops after the student answers

by Dual Cube -

Dear John, by default there is not any specific way to do this.But still you want to do you have to modify your quiz module as per your requirement.

In reply to John Rop

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Here's an idea for you.  Why not make a series of quizzes of five questions each, and make these available to students regularly (maybe one a day) that they must complete.  Then, every day you will know who needs help.  You can even make each quiz progressively more difficult.  Some textbook authors who provide test banks will tag questions as easy, medium, and difficult.  If your textbook author does this, you might have an easy way of creating more challenging quizzes.

In reply to Rick Jerz

תשובה ל: Re: The quiz stops after the student answers

by John Rop -

Nope it doesn't give it for me. I thought about it, But I have a serious need for the quiz to stop or Report to the student to stop attending the quiz if he's wrong after few questions.

Anyway to program it?

Anyway to develop it? I would like to pay a little if it's possible and someone knows how.

thank you!

In reply to John Rop

Re: תשובה ל: Re: The quiz stops after the student answers

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It might be possible to hack something together. You would probably need to put some code in mod/quiz/processattempt.php to detect the number of wrong questions, and if it is too great, automatically close the attempt, and display an appropriate message to the student. 

In reply to John Rop

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have you considered using a Lesson, where you can redirect to remedial information or to a different quiz question page if they get it wrong?  It would still have "quiz" questions, can be set to not practice, reports to the gradebook but can be created with sets of branches and specialty jumps to other pages.  You could probably create a way where if they fail a question, they go to a different branch or cluster which subsequently jumps to another branch/cluster for another wrong answer and to the end if they hit five. 

Creating a lesson where they get remedial information (possibly based on their specific answer) after answering wrong would be more supportive than just saying "never mind, you've failed, we'll try again later" and might help them understand the material more effectively.

Might be complicated, though.

In reply to Melanie Scott

תשובה ל: Re: The quiz stops after the student answers

by John Rop -
Hi Tim and Melanie. Thanks for your help. I would want to respond to what Tim wrote and then to what Melanie, if you both mind. Tim, I am not a developer so I don't really understand the way things go in the php files. Can I hire you to do that for me? Is it alot of work? Is there a way to guide for it? It is very critical for me. Melanie, again thanks for your help. I would not want the students to know that their answers are wrong. I want the quiz to immdiate stop or send them to another quiz for example: They have a quiz with 30 questions. one page with 5 if they get it wrong, it just saves what they answered and sends them to another quiz or a page. is there a way to do it in a Lesson? what exactly is a Lesson? havn't used it till now. Thank you very much!!!
In reply to John Rop

Re: תשובה ל: Re: The quiz stops after the student answers

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I am not interested in additional in additional work. The OU keeps me more than busy enough, and if I do any other work on Moodle in my own time, I want it to be whatever I choose to do.

There are plenty of people who will to contract Moodle development. Several Moodle partners (http://moodle.com/partners/list/) do custom development, and we have had good results at the OU with Catalyst IT and Netspot. I would also recommend Jamie Pratt (http://jamiep.org/), and LUNS (http://www.luns.net.uk/services/). Or you can just post your offer of work on http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?id=7232 and see who responds.

In reply to Tim Hunt

תשובה ל: Re: תשובה ל: Re: The quiz stops after the student answers

by John Rop -

Thanks Tim.

I didn't want to make you busy more than you are, Just wanted to know what are my possibilities.

Thank you again anyway.

Would like to know about what Melanie said with the Lesson part of moodle.

Thank you agian.

In reply to John Rop

by Melanie Scott -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Two things...

I didn't realize your participants wouldn't know they had missed 5.  You said "I have an important need that if the student answers 5 questions in a row that are wrong it stops, so they wouldn't have to suffer through the whole quiz."  which I took to mean they knew after 5 mistakes in a row that they'd failed and still had to slog through the rest (which is possible if you use adaptive mode, and could be miserable--I don't use adaptive mode, and that's one reason).  how would the quiz even know they'd scored the questions wrong if they haven't been submitted?  The way quiz works is that they answer the question but until it has been submitted, it isn't set in stone yet, since you aren't using adaptive mode.  The participant could answer incorrectly on 1-5, move to 6, reconsider previous answers and then return to change the answers and get them right.  It seems like jumping the gun a bit.

Second thing...What is a Lesson? (from moodle docs) "The lesson module presents a series of HTML pages to the student, who is usually asked to make some sort of choice underneath the content area. The choice will send them to a specific page in the Lesson. In a Lesson page's simplest form, the student can select a continue button at the bottom of the page, which will send them to the next page in the Lesson."  You build the pages with as much or as little content as you want.  You can have content (no question) pages.  You can set up clusters of questions which follow a series of content pages.  Each page has navigation you decide on.  By default, each page jumps to the next.  At it's most complex, (for a 4 answer multiple choice example) the page could jump to the next page for a correct answer and one of three separate pages/clusters/branch tables where they get more information or questions based on why they got the question incorrect.  You could even set up clusters of subsequent questions where they answer one of several before moving on to check retention of remedial info.

Check out the Moodle Docs for Lesson.  I don't know what version you use, so I've set the link for 2.0.  It is a bit different than the 1.9 version, from what I hear (haven't tried it out yet)

A Lesson would automatically tell them if they are wrong as soon as they are wrong.  It could, however give them feedback and additional information about the topic to improve their understanding.  If you wanted, it could send them back to the question to try again after the additional information...It doesn't have an if this section is failed, then kind of logic (to my knowledge) but it does track progress, jump to other (unseen by passing students) pages...

The neat thing here is Lesson gives immediate feedback and supportive instruction, if you build it in.  A good lesson takes time to build but provides a lot of extra non-teacher driven student support.  They're kind of like the Choose Your Own Adventure novels of the 80's and early 90's, where what happens next depends on how they answer.  I've built a couple lessons but usually create them in an authoring SCORM software as I have other needs for my courses.  I wish I could do more with lessons (and might have the opportunity soon!)

If your concern is some students are going to fail a whole lot, maybe create a lesson covering the section information (similar questions to the test but not the same) and use it as a study guide.  Then they get some practice before they take the quiz.  Yes, it adds to initial work load for you, but it might reduce some student stress/frustration and some for you as well.

Sorry for being such a text hog.

In reply to Melanie Scott

תשובה ל: The quiz stops after the student answers

by John Rop -

Hi Melanie

Iv'e got to tell you, the way youv'e explained it is the best iv'e got so far

Thank you so much

Would like to know a bit more, in a Lesson, can I create all the kind of quizes/ question types? is there a way to not show the student that he was wrong and just send him to the next quiz? for example : if he didn't got the first one right it sends him to an easier test without letting them know they were wrong?

Also , what is adaptive mode? and I'm still trying to understand what SCORM is.. if you could help me with that I would be gratefull