quiz score conversion to toeic score

quiz score conversion to toeic score

by Nyree Williams -
Number of replies: 6

Hello

I am writing some TOEIC practice tests for students, is it possible to set up the gradebook to convert a real score from a quiz to give an idea of a toeic score?

for example a student getting 71 on a reading quiz, would return a 'TOEIC' score of 340

He gets a score of 70 on a listening quiz, which returns a TOEIC score of 380.

The 2 'TOEIC' scores added together give the student his TOEIC level (in this case it would be 720)

So are any of these calculations possible through the moodle gradebook functionality?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

thanks very much in advance

In reply to Nyree Williams

Re: quiz score conversion to toeic score

by Matt Fedorko -

In short, yes. Or, I believe you can do this, and I can think of two methods. The first is to just grade the quiz as if it were a TOEIC. I'm not sure what TOEIC actually is, but if you don't necessarily care if they have some other score (a 71 out of 100, in your example), just change the total score for the quiz to be the total grade for a TOEIC. For instance, if 400 is the total for the reading section of a TOEIC (I'm guessing), then make the total possible score for the reading quiz to be 400. 

The second option I know would be possible but I'm not sure how exactly how to do it. Essentially you could, I think, use the calculator features of the gradebook to perform a conversion on that item. I think you go into the Gradebook > Grader Settings menu > Categories and Items > Full View , then create a grade item at the bottom that would be called "TOIEC Verbal Equivalent Score" or something like that. Make the max score for that item the max score for a TOIEC item. Then, in the grader report, all of the way to the right is a Calculator icon. Click that. Iin this screen, you need to add variables first (name the Verbal quiz something like VQ1). Click add variables. This will give you a variable called VQ1. Then in the window at the top, you would put in =VQ1*4.78 (or whatever the conversion between the two grades is -- you put it in as an equation like you would put it in Excel). Click save. From that point on there will be an item in your gradebook called "TOEIC Equivalent Verbal Score" or whatever that will display the equivalent score based on a math equation. From there the last thing you need to do is make sure that that item is not used to calculate the total score for the class. It needs to be displayed in the grader report, but just displayed, not used in any calculation. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure exactly how to do that, and it will really depend on how you're Aggregating your scores into a final grade (if it's a weighted mean, for instance, you could just make the weight for those scores 0...it would be different for other Aggregation methods).

Hope that helps!

In reply to Matt Fedorko

by Nyree Williams -

Hi

The TOEIC is a  "death-by -multiple -choice" test which they use here in France. The test is in 2 parts and each part is marked out of 495 - but its not that simple - each 'real' score refers to a converted 'TOEIC' score I've pasted an example of the first 30 below..1st column real score 2nd Column TOEIC score: as you can see the increments are not always regular so I can't apply a formula.  I've previously used the 'lookup' function in a spreadsheet to return the corresponding TOEIC value and I was wondering if the same could be possible within the Moodle gradebook.?
0   5
1   5
2   5
3   5
4   5
5   5
6   5
7   10
8   15
9   20
10  25
11  30
12  35
13  40
14  45
15  50
16  55
17  60
18  65
19  70
20  75
21  80
22  85
23  90
24  95
25  100
26  110
27  115
28  120
29  125
30  130

etc

by Matt Fedorko -

Sorry, Nyree -- if Moodle can do that, I don't know about it. If I were in your position, I would add Feedback to those items upon grading, or in the text of the Quiz itself, that included a link to a conversion table. But that's not very elegant, is it...

by Itamar Tzadok -

Two possible ways I can think of. 

One may be appropriate for display purposes only and consists of creating a custom scale of the TOEIC values and adding a gradebook item with grade type and scale set to this custom scale and formula set to take the quiz value + 1. This method is for display only because the actual values of the scale are 1-31.

Another way requires again creating a gradebook item. But this time it will hold the actual TOEIC value. The item should be set with max grade 130 and min grade 5. Then the formula should look something like this:

=round((||QG||-25)/100+0.49)*((||QG||-25)*5+105)+round((7-||QG||)/100+0.49)*5+round((||QG||-6)/100+0.49)*round((26-||QG||)/100+0.49)*((||QG||-6)*5+5)

where | stands for [ or ] and ||QG|| is the id of the designated quiz grade. This formula should convert grades 0-30 to their respective 5-130 TOEIC.

hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Nyree Williams -

WOW Itamar,

If only I understood it!

I will definitely try out both methods and report back. Can I use the same formula if the max grade was set to 495?

Thanks so much for your help

by Itamar Tzadok -

The formula is for 5-130 and should be extended to cover the rest up to 495. Since the correspondence between the 0-30 range and 5-130 is not linear, this formula is composed of three parts, one for calculating  the toeic values for 0-6, another for 7-25 and a third for 26-30.

The formula was tested on Moodle 2. It seems that the syntax of some formula functions has changed from 1.9 to 2 so the formula may not work as is on 1.9 but a small ajustment will fix that. So if you need it for 1.9 and this one doesn't work let me know and I'll post an adjusted version.

smile