Upgrading Moodle (2.1.1+ to 2.1.2+

Upgrading Moodle (2.1.1+ to 2.1.2+

by John Rop -
Number of replies: 3

Hello everyone, Iv'e seen that there is a new version of moodle that includes important upgrades, I'd to like to upgrade my version, though I have much data inserted to m current site (moodle version 2.1.1+)

Iv'e read most of the docs, but I couldn't understand most of it, is there a simple way to upgrade the version?

is any of my data will be lost?

thank you!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Rop

Re: Upgrading Moodle (2.1.1+ to 2.1.2+

by Doug Moody -

As I understand things, your best bet is to install 2.1.2 on a standalone test server, and don't allow any students until you get it right.

Copy over any custom files you made in 2.1.1 one by one and test the new site for errors. When you are convinced all is well with 2.1.2, then copy ALL the 2.1.2 files to your old 2.1.1 directory.

Of course, if you are using a separate database for the 2.1.2 installation, then if you make any mods to that database, you would need to integrate them into your old database. That is a separate discussion. If it were me, I would link my 2.1.2 test install to the old database just to be sure. Its likely that there won't be any problems. If you dont want to link, then make a copy of the old database and use that copy to do your testing on. If it all works fine, then use the copy and the new 2.1.2 installation as your new installation.

Let me know how ti works out.

In reply to Doug Moody

Re: Upgrading Moodle (2.1.1+ to 2.1.2+

by John Rop -

Wow, thanks for your help.

I'll be honest, I didn't understand much of what you said.

Iv'e got one server that I am building now, I don't really know how to make diffrent moodle test server on the same Domain, or diffrent place on the server files.

Can your instructions be more simple?

thank you very much!

By the way, I have a site on an server x.mdl2.com it upgrade by itself. is there a way to do that?

In reply to John Rop

תשובה ל: Re: Upgrading Moodle (2.1.1+ to 2.1.2+

by John Rop -

Hi, I wanted to ask another question.

Is there a way to move all the courses I made from 2.x to 1.9?

Like the other meanning of upgrading smile

Thanks you.