Anybody got some useful Blocks?

by Mark Little -
Number of replies: 8
Looking for some more useful blocks...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Little

Re: Anybody got some useful Blocks?

by Bob Puffer -
We have an internal/external email block we've found to be quite useful.  Integrates elegantly into standard Moodle interface.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Miles Berry -
Bob, this sounds brilliant.
Is it publicly available?
I've got a link to our squirrelmail setup on ours, but some way of letting pupils know that there's new mail for them would be so useful.
-
In response to Mark's original query, we use the RSS block for a feed from the main school newsletter, and Tony Hursh's Reference Tools, to which I've added a few external links and some other search engines.  I've also added Google and Wikipedia forms to the Search Forums block, the former using our Google public service search layout, which preserves the Moodle Cornflower look/feel. Two out of the above three are visible on our Moodle home page.
I'm afraid my coding isn't nearly good enough to add to the cvs contribs but I can let anyone interested have copies by email.
In reply to Bob Puffer

by Mark Little -
Sounds cool, could you post or send me the block.

Thanks Bob
In reply to Mark Little

by Bob Puffer -
Give it a try and please share your feedback.  Thanks. 
(p.s. -- we'd have it publicly available but its hard to get in touch with Martin these days with 1.5 so close)
In reply to Mark Little

by Marc Dastous -

I have a couple I have been using live and on my test server (http://68.184.130.61/) ...

• With the new coding structure for 1.5 Dev, I think my "Ads" and "Ads2" blocks could now be combined into one single block with multiple instances allowed.  I do have both of these working in 1.4.3 and 1.5 Dev.
  • The Google SafeSearch and ScholarSearch, dictionary and thesaurus blocks area all current and I have them working in 1.4.3 and 1.5 Dev.
  • I have a javascript, analog clock block that is working in 1.4.3.  This takes the time from the person's computer. 

If anyone has a block that takes the time from the server, I would appreciate you sharing the code.
  • With a lot of help from Jan, I now have a working version of the random Quote block working in 1.5 Dev, with bugs (Mostly style related issues).  The 1.4.3 version works perfectly.

Also, let me know what you thyink of the new theme I am developing for 1.5 Dev.

Thanks

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Mark Little -
Hi,

Nice Theme... I like the way it minimizes the windows.

Could you post your Advert blocks, they could be handy.

What do u think of the new version (1.5) ?

At the moment we are still running 1.4.3.... not risking 1.5 yet.

Thanks
Marc
In reply to Mark Little

by Marc Dastous -

The more I work with 1.5Dev, the more I like it.  The minimizing windows, is a 1.5dev feature and the theme I am customizing for 1.5Dev.

There are some issues, as Martin has posted, but when it's done it will be REALLY cool.  However, unless you are on the cutting edge, don't try it until the second release.

The documentation for custom blocks that Jon put together has been wonderfulbig grin 

I am attaching the ad block.  It is all hard coded.  So you will need to edit the html portion within the block_advertisement.php.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by Lorena de la Flor -

I like a lot the google search block. In fact, I didn´t know that there existed safe mode searchers and a scholar search.

Could you please attach it to the forum?

Thanks!

PD: I'm also using an analogyc clock block but it also takes the hour from the user PC.