Hot Potatoes in Moodle 2.1.1+ ???

Hot Potatoes in Moodle 2.1.1+ ???

by John Waldron -
Number of replies: 14

Could someone clarify if Hot Potatoes is included  when 2.1.1+ is installed. There doesn't appear to be an option to enable it as there was in Moodle 1.9.

If not included in istall could someone explain how this can be done. I am a Post-primary teacher and find this option invaluable.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Waldron

Re: Hot Potatoes in Moodle 2.1.1+ ???

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello

The HotPot module is not included in the standard install of Moodle 2.x.

You need to install it "by hand" like this:

1. download the zip file containing the HotPot module for Moodle 2.x
  2. when you unzip the file you will find the following two folders:
    • hotpot
      put this folder within the "mod" folder on your Moodle web server
    • question
      this folder contains a folder called "format", which contains a folder called "hotpot". Put this "hotpot" folder within the "question/format" folder on your Moodle web server
  3. login to Moodle as a Moodle administrator and the installation of the HotPot module should commence. If not, navigate to Settings -> Site administration -> Notifications

regards
Gordon

P.S. What do the three question marks, "???", in the title of this thread mean?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by John Waldron -

Thanks Gordon for your prompt and precise responce.  Will post when I get it completed. I wasn't sure if my version was as stated, hence the question marks. Have since confirmed that I am using version 2.1.1+

by Roberto Gutiérrez -

works perfectly, thank you very much.

It's exactly what I wanted

In reply to Roberto Gutiérrez

by vinicio huilca -

Hola Roberto, por favor puedes decirme como nistalar hot potatoes en moodle 2.2, mira, yo hice todo el proceso (subi los archivos en zip), ingresé como admin y me pidio instalar, lo hice y me salio el mensaje "success", pero no me aparece dentro de actividades como en moodle 1.9.x. Que debo hacer?

Muchas gracias

(Edited by Gordon Bateson - original submission Thursday, 16 February 2012, 05:08 AM)
[added English translation from "Google Translate"]

Hi Robert, please tell me how can install Hot Potatoes in Moodle 2.2, look, I made the whole process (went up in zip files), entered as admin and asked me to install, I did and I went the "success", but I appears within moodle activities as in 1.9.x. What should I do?
In reply to vinicio huilca

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hola Vinicio,

Please switch your conversation to English,
Por favor, cambia la conversación para Inglés

or continue it on "Moodle en Español" forum.
o continuar la conversación sobre "Moodle en Español" foro.

thank you
muchas gracias

Gordon

by vinicio huilca -

Hello Gordon, yesterday  I managed to install the module hotpotatoes, but the cage where I load the file, it is charging and is not activated:

carg

Do you know that is?

Best regards

In reply to vinicio huilca

by Gordon Bateson -

Vinicio,
your screenshot is for the SCORM module. The SCORM module and the HotPot module are different modules.

You do not need the SCORM module to put your Hot Potatoes quizzes into Moodle. Instead, I suggest you use the HotPot module.

If you want to add your Hot Potatoes quizzes to Moodle using the HotPot module, then you should choose "HotPot" from the "Add a new activity" menu on the course page.

Gordon

by Nigel Ward -

Hello

When I download and unzip your file 'HotPot module for Moodle 2.x I do not find two folders 'hotpot' and 'question', I find two folders 'mod' and 'question', with a hotpot folder inside each of these. Perhaps your instructions need tweaking? It's a real shame the popular HotPot module is no longer installed by default (at least not in my version which I think is 2.0 - how do I check the version number, by the way?).

Nigel

In reply to Nigel Ward

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Nigel,

please put "mod/hotpot" from the zip file into "mod/hotpot" on your Moodle site.

And similarly, put "question/format/hotpot" into "question/format/hotpot" on your Moodle site.

all the best
Gordon

by Javier Bravo -

Hi Gordon,

I'm using Moodle 2.2. I've tried to download the hot potatoes module, but the server seems to be down. I'd appreciate if you provide me other method to download the hot potatoes module.

Thank you very much.

All the best,

Javier.

In reply to Javier Bravo

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Javier,
please search for "HotPot" in the plugins repository at moodle.org. That will take you to the download pages for The HotPot activity model and the HorPot question import script

best regards
Gordon

by Javier Bravo -

Hi Gordon,

Thank you very much for your information and for your fast answer.

Best regards,

Javier Bravo.

In reply to Javier Bravo

by Gordon Bateson -
Javier,

I just uploaded a new version fo the HotPot module to the plugins repository. It has several improvements I have been working on over the last couple of weeks. Please download it when you have a chance.

http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_hotpot

all the best
Gordon

by Javier Bravo -

Hi Gordon,

I try this new version for the HotPot module. As you can imagine, for teaching people Hot Potatoes is an useful tool, so thank you for your development.

Best regards,

Javier.