Multiple choice buttons need double click

Multiple choice buttons need double click

by Velson Horie -
Number of replies: 6

Moodle 1.9.3

I have constructed a Close table with rows of multiple choice questions, e.g.

{:MCH:~1~=2~3~4~5}

This produces a row of radio buttons.

If a student clicks on the first button in the row, the choice is made.  However, if the second or subsequent buttons are clicked, the incorrect choice is indicated at the first button.  If the student does a rapid double click on the second or subsequent buttons, the proper choice is indicated.

Is there a way to ensure that the proper choice is indicated on a single click in all positions?

Thank you

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Velson Horie

Re: Multiple choice buttons need double click

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@Velson,

I tried to replicate your problem, but cannot. Works as expected on my  Moodle 1.9.13+ (Build: 20111007).

I do not really understand "However, if the second or subsequent buttons are clicked, the incorrect choice is indicated at the first button."

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Velson Horie -

Joseph Sorry about the delay, I am in a hotel with a very flakey internet connection. I think I am using 1.9.8, though I cannot check the ULCC server for this information.

Below is the full question (unfortunately my browser renders the html coding copied from the edit question screen. So I attach the page source for the question). It is second in a quiz (html response boxes do not work past the first question - I do not know if that is relevant here). A student has also reported this fault and is complaining about getting marked down when she clicked the correct button, but it did not register.

Your question: If I click the first button in a row, it lights up.

If I click the second button in the row, the first button lights up.

If I quick double click the second button, the first button lights up initially, then the second button lights up on the second click. This is then recorded as the answer for marking.

Similar behaviour for subsequent buttons in the row. Each row shows the same behaviour.

5 A2
What are the normal valencies of the following elements?

hydrogen {:MCH:~=1~2~3~4~5}
oxygen {:MCH:~1~=2~3~4~5}
zinc {:MCH:~1~=2~3~4~5}
sodium {:MCH:~=1~2~3~4~5}
nitrogen {:MCH:~1~2~=3~4~5}
carbon {:MCH:~1~2~3~=4~5}
In reply to Velson Horie

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Velson,

I confirm your findings. This does look like a weird bug in the Cloze question when using vertical or horizontal radio buttons rather than the "standard" dropdown list.

Hopefully Tim or Pierre will react here.

Joseph

EDIT.- This bug has been fixed in moodle 2.0 and 2.1.

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I suspect the problem is with lable tags being added to the HTML in a way that is wrong.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Velson Horie -

Thanks for the lead.

Is this something that I can correct by changing the html in the Moodle question editing box?  Or is the problem in how Moodle parses the cloze data during Decoding?

If the former, what should I do?  If the latter, can you suggest a work around?  I suspect that getting a 1.9 error fixed is low down the to-do list.

Otherwise I shall post a warning to the students in this and comparable questions.

In reply to Velson Horie

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It is a Moodle bug, but very unlikely to every be fixed now.

If you use the Moodle quiz, then I hope the new features in Moodle 2.1 make you want to upgrade, anyway. However, I realise that it is a 'big' upgrade and so something that needs careful planning.

As I guessed, if you look at the HTML of the page, you see

<label>                       
                  <table class="answer">
                      <tr class="r0">
                                            <td class="c0 control">
                          <input  id="resp102_303" name="resp102_2"  type="radio" value="303" />                        </td>
                        <td class="c1 text ">
                          <label for="resp102_303">
                            1                                                      </label>
                        </td>
.... more stuff ...
                                                  </td>
                                          </tr>
                  </table>
                  </label>

There is indeed a <label> tag nested inside another <label> tag, which is what is getting your students' web browers confused.

The attached patch should solve your problem (although it has some slighly negative consequences for accessibility, and thus is not a complete bug fix). (http://docs.moodle.org/dev/How_to_apply_a_patch)

(It was quite a novelty going back to a Moodle 1.9 site. I have been working on Moodle 2.x almost all the time. Once you are used to it, Moodle 2.x is just so much nicer!)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)