Students can't reply to forum - Help!

Students can't reply to forum - Help!

by Tom Walsh -
Number of replies: 10

Hi-

I've posted a forum question on my class page, but the students can't reply to it. They can only see it.  I've tried playing with permissions, the type of forum, etc., but I can't figure it out.  The students are enrolled in the course.  When I check the permissions students are listed as being able to reply to posts.  

This is my first year using Moodle.  Thanks for any help.

Tom

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Walsh

Re: Students can't reply to forum - Help!

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tom. What kind of forum is it? If it is the default news forum then they can't reply because only teachers can post to it - if it is another type of forum then have you got your course and students set to separate groups? If so then that might be a reason why they can't reply either - let us know so we can advise more.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tom Walsh -

Mary-

I think I've got it fixed!  I tried playing around with the group settings after reading your post.

Thanks

Tom

In reply to Tom Walsh

by Paul Gillary -

Hi Tom,

Could you tell me what you did to resolve this issue. I am having the same problem in Moodle 2.0.

Regards

Paul

In reply to Paul Gillary

by apex lee -

hmmmm... spent hours to get the issue solved... for the sake of the childrens aka students ^_^

well, hope we are facing same problem...

first, you must make sure the students have permission to do the action eg. reply  post/news

second

if you have set the course setting for

group mode = Separate groups

then

in the course you MUST create a group and assign the students into that group, so that the students can reply or post(depends on the permission setting)

to create a group:

navigate to the course, under Setting -> Course Administration-> Users-> Groups

then you should see the list of groups created (for the particular course)

now, press the button "create group", fill up the details, save

highlight the group, press the button Add/remove users and add the potential users.

now, create a NEW post/news and log in as a students account to check whether the 'reply' button is available

for old post, i believe it will remain the same (no reply button) as it has been set to 'all participant' but not the group.

good luck ^_^

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Omid Fatemi -

Dear Mary;

Although your post is for 2011 but I think I can ask the question since I haven't found the answer.

What could I do to allow students to be able to post and reply in the news forum?

I know it I s designed for teachers only but I would like to change it.

Do you think I should go for assigning local roles of teacher to students for this activity (news forum)?

Regards;

Omid 

In reply to Omid Fatemi

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Why not just set up a new forum, rather than the default news one. That would allow logged in students to respond without having to alter anything.

You could replicate the 'Latest News' block (if it is required) by using an RSS feed of your new forum.

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Omid Fatemi -

Thank you Dear Richard;

My main reason to have that forum was as you said to have the latest news block.

Would you please explain the procedure to make a similar block?

Regards;

Omid

In reply to Tom Walsh

by Samran Wiriyaphong -

Hi

I hope your problem has been solved already since the post was made in 2011. Here I am in 2015 and I was having the same problem. Eventually I found a solution that I thought I'd like to share in case it might be helpful to other people.

Reply solution

The default setting in "grouping" under "common module settings" is "Separate groups." I change it to "Visible groups" and that fixed the problem.

In reply to Samran Wiriyaphong

by Sharon Strauss -
Picture of Testers

HELP! I am having the same issue, but I think it is because  faculty are accidentally hitting the group toggle icon from the main page, not going int the common module settings as shown above. This is creating havoc!

group icon illustration

I have Moodle 2.8 with the Essential theme. Anyone else seeing this? I have not noticed this to be an issue in previous versions and/or other themes.