Can the following be achieved with a HUB setup?

Can the following be achieved with a HUB setup?

by Anders Molsner -
Number of replies: 2

We are currently looking into this exciting new feature in Moodle, and would very much like to utilize in the following maner, however I am running into deadends:

Setup description:
we have a range of moodle sites, all private sites, all with business critical information that no one other than the inteded users must be able to see, but we have 80% course materials, SCORM packages etc that is reused across these sites, meaning that we have to maintain these courses up to 10 different places, if the content gets updated.

To avoid having to maintain the same courses on so many sites, and to avoid having so much redundant data cluttering the server, we would love to have all the courses served from a central HUB, which then would be the only server actually containing course material for all sites.

We have done some testing, and researching in this area, and found this to be very hard if not impossible to achieve. Thus I am asking for the help from all you guys, to help me establish if we are simply trying to do something here that really is not possible with a HUB, or give some pointers on how to go about this.

What issues have we encountered this far:

1. We dont want the users on our moodle sites to search for relevant courses, we simply want to make them available just as if the were actually on that particular site, and then 'just' have the actual course data served from the HUB.
  2. Control which courses on the HUB are available to which sites. In a perfect world we would like to control this as detailed as on user level.
  3. We need the statistical data when a user enrols in a course on the HUB to be maintained on the site they came from. We have not been able to find any documentation on this.

If anyone has any idea of how to get just some of the above working I would be so happy smile

Cheers

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anders Molsner

Re: Can the following be achieved with a HUB setup?

by Jérôme Mouneyrac -

Hi Anders,

from the hub perspective:
1) With capability it is possible to block non admin users to search or download from the community finder. 

2) This is currently not implemented. All registered sites have access to all visible courses on the hub. 

3) This is currently not implemented. Moodle site does not alert back the hub when a user coming from the hub has been enrolled. I like the idea, you can write an issue for that smile 

Also there is a new feature multi tenancy that is being devlelopped: http://docs.moodle.org/dev/Multitenant_support . It could be the solution to your problem. I don't know much about it, but it seems very useful for people managing multiple sites.

In reply to Jérôme Mouneyrac

Ang: Re: Can the following be achieved with a HUB setup?

by Anders Molsner -

Hi Jerome,

Thanks for your insight on this, i guess we will be waiting a while before actually moving over to the HUB then. Looking forward to the multi-tenant solution, it sounds like it will cover much of what we need.