Adding Activity: No such file / directory, No action was specified

Adding Activity: No such file / directory, No action was specified

by Tom B -
Number of replies: 5

Today I uploaded and installed Hotpot 1.4.1. I also added the hotpop.php to the moodle/lang/en folder. I went to admin and installed it. I saw the tables created message. I am now in a course, I choose add activity/hotpop and I get the window where I give a title, description and choose the file to upload. The file seems to upload fine, using "choose or upload". I can see that the file is there (files/cf101/hotpot/rauding-jmatch-v01.htm). But then when I click Save Changes I get a strange error message. Frustratingly, it doesn't even stay onscreen long enough to copy it. I think it says something about "warning file failed" and "No such file / directory". Then it quickly goes to the "No action was specified" screen. Hotpop looks really cool. How can I get it working?

Tom

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom B

Re: Adding Activity: No such file / directory, No action was specified

by Tom B -

Okay, now I know to upload the .jmt file. I did that. I also saw the "Failed to open stream" part of this fleeting error message. So now I think I just need to know:
1. where to upload the .jmt file to, and
2. how to specify the path in the "file name" field

Please answer these questions.

Tom

In reply to Tom B

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tom,

are you trying to use ".jmt" files with the "HotPot" module? That won't work. With the HotPot module, you should use the quiz's ".htm" or ".html" file instead.

If you want to use ".jmt" files, you could try downloading the new HotPotatoes module:
http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=168

The easiest way to specify the path in the "File name" field is to click the "Choose or upload a file ..." button. This is true for both the HotPot module and the new HotPotatoes module.

hope this helps!
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Tom B -

Thanks! I uploaded the html file, left it where moodle put it (didn't move it into a folder), and just put the simple file name in the "File Name" field and it worked great. Now it works.

1. I'm confused about the "Hotpot" and the "New Hot Potatoes Module" you refer to. (So I'm also confused about which one I have installed.)

2. If I want to move the file rauding-jmatch-v01.htm to a folder (e.g. /hotpot/rauding-jmatch-v01.htm) how do I specify that in the "File Name" field.

In reply to Tom B

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Tom,

I think you have the HotPot module, because in your original post you wrote "I uploaded and installed Hotpot 1.4.1. I also added the hotpop.php".

The HotPot module allows Moodle to administer the ".html" file of a quiz created by "Hot Pototoes" (the suite of six programs that runs on your PC: JCloze, JMatch etc)

The HotPotatoes module allows you to administer a "Hot Potatoes" quiz from either the ".html" file OR the XML source file. The source files have one of the folllowing extensions: ".jcl", ".jcr", ".jmt", ".jmx", ".jqz". The HotPotatoes module also generates a number of reports which allow the teacher to see the responses to individual questions on the quiz as well as statistics about the quizzes.

The HotPotatoes module is currently being developed and tested. In a few weeks I expect it will be ready to be used on "live" systems. Tom Robb, the creator of the original HotPot module, has indicated that he expects the HotPotatoes may replace the HotPot module at some future date. This may well be feasible around the end of February.

Reagarding moving the file rauding-jmatch-v01.htm , I have a feeling that the HotPot module, may complain if you move the ".html" file of the quiz to a sub-directory. I seem to remember reading a psot about that on this forum. With the new HotPotatoes module, the quiz file can be in any folder in the course files directory.

hope this clears up some of the confusion smile

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Tom B -

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation. I will look forward to installing the full HotPotatoes module and trying it out.

Tom