Problems installing the HotPot module

Problems installing the HotPot module

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 11
I've just installed the HotPot module but it is not visible in my Moodle. I just uploaded the folder 'hotpot' (after having unzipped it on my local computer) inside de 'mod' folder. That's what I thought one had to do to install a module. When I access Moodle as administrator and go to settings/modules, however, the HotPot module does not appear anywhere.

Am I doing something wrong? What is the problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Josep M.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Problems installing the HotPot module

by Josep M. Fontana -
Could please, please, please, somebody help me with this? I need to install
the module urgently as I have prepared some assignments in Hot Potatoes for one of my courses and I need to post them in time for students to be able to complete them.

I have Moodle 1.4. Is the version of the HotPot module that can be downloaded from moodle.org incompatible with version 1.4? If this is not the problem, what is the problem then? As I said, I think I have done everything properly: copy the folder HotPot (which results from unzipping the dowloaded file) within the 'mod' folder in my Moodle installation. However, the module is invisible when I access my Moodle as administrator. This happens both in my local installation of Moodle and in the one in the server.

I would really, really appreciate it if someone could lend me a hand with this.

Josep M.

by Jan Dierckx -
Josep,

After uploading the module inside the /mod directory, you need to visit /moodle/admin/index.php
Have you done that?  Did you see messages about database tables being updated?
Did you add the language file to moodle/lang/en?

Just some things I was thinking about....
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks very much Jan and Darren for your prompt responses to my help calls,

Now I see that I didn't do something I was supposed to do: adding the language file to moodle/lang/en.
However, I don't know what that means. What language file are you referring to? I see that there is a file called hotpot.php in the moodle/lang/en directory. What other file do I have to add? With other modules I have installed this step
was not necessary. Are there any specific instructions to install the HotPot module?

Josep M.
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Josep M. Fontana -
Well, ok, I know now what I'm supposed to do but it still doesn't work. I copied the hotpot.php file found in the hotpot/lang/en folder into the moodle/lang/en folder. When I was going to do that it told me that the file that I was going to replace was more recent than the file I found in the hotpot/lang/en folder.

I don't understand what is going on. As I said, I downloaded the last version I found of the HotPot module in http://moodle.org/download/modules/. The
version of HotPotatoes I am using is Moodle 1.4.1+ (2004083101).

Anyway, I still copied the older file into the Moodle/lang/en folder. When I checked the /moodle/admin/index.php as Jan suggested I got the following information (translated from Catalan): "Module Hotpot (2005012600) [the date I added to the version.php file as required in the installation instructions] could not be installed. It requires a newer version of Moodle (you are using 2004083101 and you need version 2004083105).

I'm totally confused. Does this mean I cannot use the HotPot module unless I use a specific version of Moodle (I don't even know what the version 2004083105 is)?

Josep M.

by Dave Ray -

Josep,

Not real sure but, I had to copy the hotpot.php into
/lang/en/help  in order to get my hotpot to work.

Dave

In reply to Dave Ray

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks Dave.

It doesn't work, though. I copied hotpot.php into the /lang/en/help and I still
get the same message saying I need a newer version of Moodle. Strange because I think version 1.4.1 of Moodle is newer than the hotpot module you can download from moodle.org.

Josep M.

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -
There is a file version.php in the HotPot module that tells you the module needs a recent version of Moodle ($module->requires = 2004083105).
You could change this to the version of Moodle you are running (2004083101).
Changing the last digit after requires in your version.php should do it.
In reply to Jean-Pierre Pawlak

Installed! New problems?

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks Jean-Pierre! That finally did it.
Now it seems to be working. The only thing, though, is that once the quiz is finished nothing happens. I thought that once the user had clicked the last button in a quiz, HotPot quit automatically and the user was returned to the main page for the course. This is not happening. The only way the user has to
go back to the course page is via the bread crumbs or clicking the back arrow.
Is this supposed to be like this?

Josep M.

Re: Installed! New problems?

by Jean-Pierre Pawlak -
That's right. The test doesn't close automaticly. I use the bread crumbs to go back to the course. 
In reply to Jean-Pierre Pawlak

Re: Installed! New problems?

by Josep M. Fontana -
OK. I was confused because I have been testing the new version of the module developed by Gordon Bateson and there the quiz closes automatically once it is completed.

Thanks a lot Jean-Pierre.

Josep M.

by Darren Smith -
Have you checked the access rights to the folder / files?

Darren