Defaut role settings

Defaut role settings

by Louise H -
Number of replies: 2

We are implementing Moodle in the very near future, and would like to define our required role capabilities/permissions from the start.

Is there a way of outputting what the default settings are for each role? For example, into Excel? Or is there any existing documentation that shows this?

Ideally I'd like to be able to see an overview matrix of all the existing permissions to compare roles and decide what needs to be switched on/off.

Thanks,

Louise

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Louise H

Re: Defaut role settings

by Doug Moody -

This is somethign I would also like to do. If you find a solution, I would be most interested in seeing it.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Louise H

Re: Defaut role settings

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Which version of Moodle are your using.?

In 2.1, I was poking around to see what was going on with my permissions and capabilities in different custom roles.  It had a couple of reports in site administration >Users >Permissions.  

I first looked at the Capability report.  This is tells what the permissions are for each role defined in the system.

Next I looked at the Check system permissions report.  I could create 1 user and assign that user a system wide role.  If I was in the planning phase, I would do this on a non production site, so I could try out my custom roles.

Never overlook the good old fashion copy and special paste (Unicode Text) into Excel technique.  I just did it for a user in 2.1.  Created a 2 column 464 row report.   Bottom of the worksheet looked like:

Block  
Edit a block's settingsmoodle/block:edit No
View blockmoodle/block:view Yes
Manage blocks on a pagemoodle/site:manageblocks Yes

I am sure you can find some clever Excel user to come up with some formula or do a cut and paste of the second column to create your report showing every role's permissions at the system levelsmile

Someone else can chime in about earlier versions of Moodle.  Or perhaps some clever SQL query.    Hope this helps.

Chris