Student information

Student information

by steve isaacs -
Number of replies: 4

Hi.  I teach in a middle school and am using Moodle.  I had students use a login so they could post in the forums as guests cannot.  However, when they post information in their profile that information is available for everyone in the class to see.  Is it possible to hide the information.  Parents may have a problem with their full name posted, their email address, etc.

On that note, is it also possible to have forum posts only show the first name of the user?

Steve Isaacs

Average of ratings: -
In reply to steve isaacs

Re: Student information

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi,

Re. only showing first names, please check Admin > Configuration > Variables fullnamedisplay - you'll find an option to display first name only.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Miles Berry -
The above setting affects the display for other pupils; teachers (or at least admins) will still see the full name.
E-mail addresses can be hidden by changing the setting in each individual profile. You can switch this off when you import new users, by setting maildisplay as 0 in each field; post import you could mess with the database directly if you're brave.
The other bits of the profile are all optional anyway.
In reply to Helen Foster

by steve isaacs -

Thanks for the input but I do not see Configuration listed under the administrative options.  All I see is

Administration
hide.gifdelete.gif up.gifdown.gifright.gif

Am i looking in the wrong place?

Steve

In reply to steve isaacs

by Miles Berry -
It's a site wide setting, so you need to look in the admin block on the front page, ie where all the courses are listed.
Sorry I forgot to mention that!