Remote and local access

Remote and local access

by Nick Garrod -
Number of replies: 3

I'm hoping someone can help me here....

Here is my scenario:

I have a number of remote users that need to run some e-learning over limited bandwidth.

I want each user who are based around the world, to log into a central Moodle server to 'authenticate' who they are, but rather than access the e-learning on the central server, I want it installed on their machine so that there are no bandwidth issues as they are accessing the e-learning content locally. Once they have completed the e-elarning, I need the results and tracking data to be pushed back to the central Moodle server.

Is this possible, how would it work, what advice can you give to me?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nick Garrod

Re: Remote and local access

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
No. Moodle is designed to be a client-server application. People can have Moodle in their personal computers, but then they are decoupled from your central site, a snap shot at best.

You can find old related discussions by searching this forum for "replication". See the "'Using Moodle' advanced search facility" link mentioned in the introduction.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by thulasi raman -

Hi,

This post had already been put up on Installation Problems section. But a quick recap...

I work for an organization that conducts an MS program in two locations. At present I have moodle 2.0.1installed on a remote server in California and students from both the locations are trying to access moodle that is installed in this remote location.

A network bandwidth of 1Mbps is being used by close to 50 - 60 students in each location resulting in very slow results. We are toying with the idea of installing moodle 2.0.1 on each of the local servers and syncing them up with the remote one.

When you say "People can have Moodle in their personal computers, but then they are decoupled from your central site" does it mean that syncing the remote and local server is not possible and updates made in local server will not get reflected in the remote server.

I have no idea how to proceed in this regard or is there a different approach altogether for this. Any ideas........?

In reply to thulasi raman

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi

> does it mean that syncing the remote and local server is not possible and updates made in local server will not get reflected in the remote server.

The short answer is: Yes.

You can find the explanation in the answer I gave in the "Installaton problems" forum
===
This idea is often discussed in the "Hardware and Performance" forum http://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=596 for example http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=173408.

You'll find more discussions searching that forum for "replication" and "mirror". Make use of the "'Using Moodle' advanced search facility" mentioned in the introduction to that forum.
===
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=186135&parent=810434