Flash module add-on: Latest SWF Activity Module

Flash module add-on: Latest SWF Activity Module

by Deborah Delin -
Number of replies: 5

Hi,

I would like to update my SWF Module.  I dowloaded the latest version, which was made yesterday, but I'm not sure how to install it.  Previously the download contained the file "swf" which was located at moodle>mod>swf but the new download contains two files:  "actionscript" and "moodle".  Documentation also refers to swf file.  Please advise.

I want to update because because I am hoping the newer version might have a Show navigation>yes, with frame option?  If it does not, could someone possibly look at the problem I have here:

http://www.strivney.com/mod/swf/view.php?id=2080

where the keyboard controls (arrows and spacebar) which activate the game also cause the page to scroll around as they do on a normal Moodle page.   The frame would solve this but if there isn't this option, could someone kindly suggest a way of neutralising the keyboard controls for scrolling on this page, or some other workaround?

Sorry to ask two questions in one post but one leads to the other.

Thanks very much in advance for your time.

Deborah

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Deborah Delin

Re: Flash module add-on: Latest SWF Activity Module

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Deborah,

Re: actionscript and moodle directories, they're organised along the same paths as they are in situe in Moodle and in the Flash IDE Actionscript class path, i.e.:

moodle/mod/swf/... (just drop /mod/ into your /moodle/ directory, or drop /swf/ into your /mod/ directory)

and

actionscript/com/matbury/sam/data/...

Re: show navigation option, I haven't included any options to show or hide Moodle navigation.

Re: scrolling page, I tried it and it didn't scroll when the browser window was wider than the Flash navigation bar you have at the top. I think you have these options:

1. Change the left and right keys in the Flash game for ones other than cursor keys.
  2. Force users to go to full-screen Flash so only the game has focus.
  3. Make the Flash naviagation bar variable width, e.g. 90%, so that it never forces left and right scrolling in the browser.

I hope this helps! smile

SWF Activity Module: http://code.google.com/p/swf-activity-module/

In reply to Matt Bury

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Matt,

Thanks very much for your reply.

Re: directories I'm so sorry to be dense but I'm having problems.  swf uploaded fine but I don't have "write" permission in lib. where amfphp needs to go.  You didn't mention lib - is it essential?  Also, I don't find a file called actionscript either in moodle, mod or swf. Do I need to create a new one in swf?

Thanks also for your suggestions for getting round the keyscrolling problem.  I don't think they will work for me as I do need Moodle navigation, and it is not only the right and left arrows that scroll but the up and down arrows and the spacebar.  I think that to use different keys for the game would be too unintuititve.  I'll have to try and think of another workaround.  

Thanks again.

Deborah

In reply to Deborah Delin

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi,

The moodle/lib/amfphp/ directory contains the gateway and interpreter that allows Flash applications to interface directly with Moodle's functions and pass objects back and forth. The most common use is for Flash to save learners' grades in Moodle's grade book but it can also perform many other functions. If you don't want Flash apps to communicate with Moodle, it isn't necessary. The module itself moodle/mod/swf/ is self contained and will work normally without AMFPHP.

Actionscript is the programming language of Flash. It has nothing directly to do with Moodle, which is written in PHP. The provided actionscript classes make it much easier for Flash developers to get Flash and Moodle to communicate. Again, if you don't want Flash and Moodle to communicate, it isn't necessary.

BTW, you'll find that most Flash online games don't use the cursor keys for exactly the reason why you're experiencing problems with it. There are lost of free Flash games that you can try out on the web to see how other developers do it. One important thing to remember is that most of the keyboard is disabled when Flash apps go into full-screen mode, so users can only really use a mouse, microphone or webcam to interact.

In reply to Matt Bury

by Deborah Delin -

Hi Matt

Communicating scores from Flash to Moodle was exactly the reason I wanted to use the SWF Module.  I managed to put the amfphp folder into lib but where does the actionscript folder go (I don't see an actionscript folder in my current setup)?

Thanks for your advice about the game.  I did a bit of research and didn't really find a suitable alternative for what I want to do.  But I will look further.

It is possible to get round the problem I encounter by having the SWF displayed in a frame.  If I add the html of the swf as a resource in Moodle, and choose show navigation>yes, with frame, the scrolling problem doesn't occur.  Is there a way I could add the navigation option code to my copy of the SWF module?

Thank you for your help.

Deborah