Can my content in Moodle be translated automatically?

Can my content in Moodle be translated automatically?

by cindy andruss -
Number of replies: 2

From my reading, I'm understanding that the language packs are used only to translate the Moodle interface, not the actual course content. Is my understanding correct?  Or is there a script of some sort I can insert into my Moodle that will automatically translate all of my course content (i.e., Lessons, Workshops, etc.)? 

Let me elaborate: I entered an entire course in Moodle using English language. I do not have text or word files of my Lesson content. I want to create a mirror site in Italian.  Is there a way I can do so easily via use of some kind of translating program?

thanks for any help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to cindy andruss

Re: Can my content in Moodle be translated automatically?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you find a programmer they might be able to write a filter to do this using a free web service, but it wouldn't read very nice (and it would be slow).

If you are prepared to hand-translate then you can turn on the multilang filter in Admin >> Config >> Filters and put text with this format in every place you want to:

<lang lang="en"> Some english text here</lang>
<lang lang="it">  Some Italian text here </lang>