Moodle versus Blackboard

Moodle versus Blackboard

by Nina Rung-Hoch -
Number of replies: 7

Greetings.

Is there a current (2011) list of universities who use Moodle, especially for their business programs?

Thank you.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nina Rung-Hoch

Re: Moodle versus Blackboard

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Hi Nina,

I don't think it really matters too much as to who is doing what.. I know in Australia, the number of Universities and TAFE colleges and schools using Moodle or a blend of both Moodle and Blackboard or others is changing from Moodle being in one university to now being in almost half, in a short period of time. First, most decisions made by managers are made with financial considerations first. Moodle requires less initial capital outlay, does not incurr additional capitalization for upgrades, etc., and does the same job as BB, I think better, after using both, but I am prejudiced. Second, what best suits the needs of your users, (students?) Look at other factors though, popularity is no guide to usefulness, stability, interactivity or scalability. Moodle does better there too, I suggest. 

However, if you were to look at these studies, they may help guide you and answer some of your questions. The Flinders University one is perhaps more to what you might be looking for.   

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Nina Rung-Hoch -

Thank you both.

I am particularly interested in those who manage MBA program and how it has worked.

To my mind....I have always thought about Moode/Blackboard as "Microsoft versus Apple"...smile

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

..mmm not really, more like David and Goliath... and that does not work out well for either of them..smile I am pretty sure that someone at one of the universities would be glad to give you some insights.

You might want to look at the Open University, they would have to be the absolute biggest single user of Moodle - they may also have a blended system, but maybe not. Uni of Glasgow have also been Moodle users for a while I think but they may be more about engineering than MBAs. Perhaps one a bit closer to home, there is bound to be one in Denmark, Belgium, Holland or Sweden that could help, I am sure. Someone you know will know someone in one of those institutes who could help, perhaps someone from a site close to you.    

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The University of Glasgow has nearly 30,000 users and a very large and active Arts Moodle community.... (http://arts.moodle.gla.ac.uk) amongst other humanities subjects.

The only Danish site I know belongs to the University of Copenhagen (https://learnit.itu.dk/).

by Martin Contreras -

Hi NIna,

Did you find the list of business school universities which are using Moodle?