External URL query

External URL query

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Could someone tell me how this is supposed to work please? I ticked the Enable external package type in the admin settings (on a 2.1) I uploaded via ftp a zipped SCORM pack - it is publicly accessible. I typed in the URL like http://www.MYSITE.com/testscorm.zip/imsmanifest.xml. (I confess I guessed the last bit so that might be the problem) The SCORM just comes up as empty. When I upload this SCORM pack in the normal way through Moodle it does work fine so I know it is not a SCORM issue -it is me,  not knowing how to operate the external URL feature. So I'd appreciate some help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: External URL query

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think you just need to point to the zip and moodle takes it from there. You would only point to the manifest if you had unzipped it yourself "manually".
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: External URL query

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

the "Downloaded Package" option lets you set the url for the zip - the "External SCORM manifest" option allows you to select the imsmanifest.xml from an extracted SCORM  - this option(external manifest) will only work reliably if the URL uses the same base URL as your Moodle install - eg:

www.yourmoodlesite.com/moodle

and

wwww.yourmoodlesite.com/scorm1/imsmanifest.xml

if your extracted SCORM is on a different url then the default Browser Security settings will cause Cross-domain Javascript communication to fail - Javascript communication in SCORM is required if you want it to return a grade or any other information from the users interaction with the SCORM package.

But - if you use the Zip - (downloaded package)  it doesn't matter what url is used as Moodle will download a copy of the zip and extract it internally for use.

hope that helps/makes sense!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dan Marsden

Re: Downloaded package error (was External URL)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah thanks! It makes perfect sense -except- I got an error message as below - but the URL is correct - I know - because if you click on it you are prompted to download the zip file from the site

Unknown exception related to local files (Can not fetch file form URL)

I will go and try on another Moodle