Student skip content page: Force new attempt and force completed don't work

Student skip content page: Force new attempt and force completed don't work

by Sytske van Hasselt -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

this is a follow up on a post I made earlier: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=180927

I'm sorry it took me so long to come back to this, but I needed the time to run a test on the right package with the right settings, and record all the results.This because the original package contains confidential information. So I changed the package to contain fewer questions, and bogus texts.

We use Moodle 2.0.3 (Build: 20110505). The Scorm Content is generated with Articulate quizmaker '09.

The problem I'm having is that Moodle keeps recording the results of different attempts into one attempt. When I asked about the attempts in moodle, Dan marsden pointed out, that to test this I should turn on 'Display attempts status'. To actually see the attempt status, I should also set "Students skip content page" to Never (which in our course we have set to Allways, for style reasons). 

and when I did this, I noticed that the problem didn't occur any longer. But when I switch back to "Students always skip content page", the problem reoccurs.

To show what happens, I have done the following:

1. I have created a quiz with five questions, which I put in Moodle as a Scorm-activity (package can be downloaded here).
  2. The settings used you can see in MoodleScormSettings01.txt. The most important ones are:
    1. number of attempts:         unlimited
      Attempts grading:             First attempt
      Display attempt status:     No
      Force completed:             Yes
      Force new attempt:             Yes
      Display package:             Current Window

Student skip content
      structure page:             Never
  3. Now I have a user, Cursist01, take this activity two times. I have put the Scorm-logs and other relevant information in: User01-TakesTestTwoTimes.doc
    Each attempt ends up as a seperate attempt in the Scorm report. And only the first result ends up in the gradebook.
  4. Then I change 1 setting of the Scorm-activity: "Student skip content structure page:" from Never, to Always.
  5. Next, I have a second user that takes the same activity, with the changed setting.
  6. But now the result is different: the two attempts get 'combined' into one. You can see this, in the trackdetails in User02-TakesTestTwoTimes.doc: the numbering of "cmi.interactions_" 'continues' in the second attempt where it left of in the first (hope this is correct English). And each time a student takes the quiz, the grade gets updated in the gradebook.

So actually when students skip the content structure page, they 'get stuck' in one, neverending attempt.

My question: why does this happen? Is this Moodle or the Scormpackage? We really want students to skip the content structure page and go straight to the Scormcontent.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sytske van Hasselt

Re: Student skip content page: Force new attempt and force completed don't work

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

thanks for the great detailed post - sounds like a bug - can you please create a new one in the tracker referencing the information here and I'll try to take a look later this week!

thanks,

In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sytske van Hasselt -

Hi Dan,

Thanks again for fixing the bug.

Can I just verify my thinking on applying the fix?

I have tried applying the fix in two ways:

1. Installing the two files from your sources (https://github.com/danmarsden/moodle/compare/MOODLE_20_STABLE...m20_MDL-28649); But if I do that, the scorm module stops working.
  2. just adding the changes that are highlighted on github.com to the corresponding files in our installation (mod/scorm/locallib.php and mod/scorm/view.php); but i didn't quite dared to do that, because the 'removed' code differs from the code in our version of the files.

Am I correct to understand that the way for us to use the fix is:

1. Wait for the fix to be included in the weekly build of Moodle 2.0.3+
  2. Upgrading our installation with that weekly build.

Thanks in advance,

Sytske

In reply to Sytske van Hasselt

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

yes - if you wait for this to be included in the weekly build you can just upgrade with that build. - thanks.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)