Can a student choose which questions to answer?

Can a student choose which questions to answer?

by Sami Cooper -
Number of replies: 5

Dear Moodle Community,

We have an exam that requires students to choose questions from either scenario A or scenario B and then move onto the compulsary MCQs. Currently the students just skip a scenario choice and move to the MCQs.

The problems arrise when Moodle calculates the grades, as it cannot distinguish between questions that have been purpously skipped and questions that havn't been answered.

So the maximum marks received includes:
       Scenario A + Scenario B + MCQs
not:
       Scenario A or B + MCQs.

How do I create a Quiz where the student can choose which questions to answer and have the maximum grade reflect this choice?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sami Cooper

Re: Can a student choose which questions to answer?

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Have you thought about using the Lesson activity rather than the Quiz?

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Sami Cooper -

It's just not practical to use the 'Lesson' activity due to the amount of questions in our exam (60+)

In reply to Sami Cooper

by Avrila Klaus -

One way to do this would be to make two versions of the quiz, one for scenario one and the other for scenario two.  Then, it would even be possible to use conditional visibility, with some kind of activity where they chose their scenario and the "score" functioned as a switch between the two, such that only the quiz for their preferred scenario would be visible.

In reply to Avrila Klaus

by Sami Cooper -

Sounds like a plan. How could I implement this and what existing Moodle tools would I use to do so?

Also The students have to be able to read each scenario and the questions included in order to make a decision as to which scenario they want to choose...

In reply to Sami Cooper

by Sami Cooper -

FYI: our total exam marks are calculated as follows:

• Scenario A: 23
  • Scenario B: 23
  • MCQ: 30

So the total marks are currently and manually marked by: (a or b) + MCQ - maximum of 53

Moodle is marking this Quiz as: (a + b) + MCQ - maximum of 76

I have set the 'Maximum Grade' to 76 instead of the default 100 which means our Lecturers can see the grade score instead of the incorrect percentage. But it still displays the grade as; grade/76, rather than; grade/53