Gradebook

Parents cannot see their childs grade

Picture of John Green
Parents cannot see their childs grade

Hello all,

I have a problem with the parent role in moodle. Somehow they can't see their childrens grades.

To explain the problem:

1 - I've made a parent role for testing and gave this role the standard allowments like moodle/user:viewalldetails and moodle/user:viewuseractivitiesreport to view the grades.

2 - I assigned a parent (who has the role) as a parentto a child by going to the students page and clicking on the 'Assign roles relative to this user' (My profile settings > Roles > Assign roles relative to this user)

3 - I enrolled both (parent and child) in a scorm graded captivate course.

4 - After the student took the course and receive his score it's visible in the students gradebook.

5 - This score isnt visible for the parent when he looks up the childs gradebook (Mentees block > Child > Activity reports > Grade).

Picture of John Green
Re: Parents cannot see their childs grade

*Instant reply*

While looking at the problem I've found a workaround (a bug?).

When I visited the childs gradebook page as a parent the url that showed up ended with:

/course/user.php?user=17&id=1&mode=grade

with user=17 as the child. When I changed "id=1", in the course id (id=39), the gradebook with grade showed up! When I tried this with other random users I was also able to see their grades... Is this a bug or is there something wrong in my settings?

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Fascinating - I will take a look this afternoon. Which precise version of Moodle are you using?

Picture of John Green

Moodle 2.0.1+ (Build: 20110105)

To clarify the problem:

Theres a difference in the navigation menu which i can't really explain

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Ok -first things first: you will not see anything with id=1 because that is the front page of Moodle and he won't have any grades. You need to click on the blue link of one of their courses - such as the course that gave you id=39 and then you will be able to access their grades for that course.  However - and I have tested this on a 2.0.3, I cannot see other pupils' grades when I change the child's ID number - I get a "you cannot enrol yourself in this course" message, so how you are getting this I don't know.

Picture of Janine Hempy

I'm having the exact same problem in Moodle 2.2.4. I don't want to have to hack the Moodle core to make this work - are there any other workarounds yet?

Thanks!
Janine

Picture of Darrell Klar

Oh my... I can't believe I have found someone that has the same problem!!!!

I have been stumped for days, as to why I am unable to have a parent see a student's grades. Reading this post I've found I have the exact same issue.

When I have a "parent" role trying to access a student's details I get the following url suffix

user.php?user=6&id=1&mode=grade

which simply shows a blank table with LMS (The front page short name) as the title.

When I change id=1 to id=5 or id=8 or any other number I can see the user report for that course even though the student is not enrolled in that course.

I am using Moodle version 2.0.5+(20111019).

Please, has anyone found anything regarding this since early November?

Darrell

Mary Cooch

Are your courses behind enrolment keys? You won't get any grades from your first URL with id=1 as that is the front page but what happens if you change the id to a course where your student IS enrolled?

Picture of Darrell Klar

All students are manually created by me (adaministrator).

The first URL is what is displayed if the "Parent" chooses to see a grade report of the student, no matter the course number - it appears it will always show id=1 by default.

When I change the course id to the student's course, the report lists the assessments, but the actual scores achieved by the student are always empty.

Thanks for your speedy response Mary.

Me

I have a problem with the parent role in moodle. Somehow they can't see their childrens grades.
To explain the problem:
1 - I've made a parent role for testing and gave this role the standard allowments like moodle/user:viewalldetails and moodle/user:viewuseractivitiesreport to view the grades.
2 - I assigned a parent (who has the role) as a parentto a child by going to the students page and clicking on the 'Assign roles relative to this user' (My profile settings > Roles > Assign roles relative to this user)
3 - I enrolled both (parent and child) in a scorm graded captivate course.
4 - After the student took the course and receive his score it's visible in the students gradebook.
5 - This score isnt visible for the parent when he looks up the childs gradebook (Mentees block > Child > Activity reports > Grade).

I have attempted using http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Parent_role on our site and the Parent still cannot see the student grades. I then went to the Moodle Demo site and tried the same steps with the same failed results. We are on Moodle 2.1.1.

I am new to Moodle and not sure if this issue is already being resolved. Any suggestions would be great!

V2

I'll add my 2 cents here and say that we have the same issue (with it being resolved by removing the "1" and placing the course ID number in its place).

Me

Thank you for the quick response. I believe the course is showing correctly in the url (/user/view.php?id=336&course=3).

V2

Darrell (or Mary?),

Any chance you found a solution to this? I've tried this via a couple of different installs of 2.0.5 and I keep getting id=1 everytime.

Wondering if I should submit a rquest to Moodle Tracker.

Thanks! 

Mary Cooch

Ok usuall questions - do the courses have guest access and/or do they have enrolment keys? Also - what do you mean by "you keep getting id=1 every time? YOu will get that to start with but when you click the child's profile and go to a different course you will get a different id and should be able to see their grades from that course - are you not able to do that?

V2

This particular course has guest access and group enrollment keys. But as best as I can tell, it doesn't matter if there's guess access or enrollment keys enabled/disabled as long as the parent role is assigned to a particular student (that is, a parent can access grade reports in any class by changing the course number in the url).

To be precise on what happens:

1. A parent logs in to Moodle and see's the "Mentee Block" with their child listed in the block.
  2. They click on the name and see their child's profile complete with 
  3. When they click on an activity report under the navigation, (any item - grades, grade overview, etc) they get this url like this: /course/user.php?user=4008&id=1&mode=grade
If I substitute the number "1" with the course ID number, a parent can see the overview report, grades, etc. So they have access to the class.
Possible thought: View below to see the user report. Note that none of the courses are showing up (this applies to both parents and students). Perhaps the issue is not with the parent role but how the user report is being generated?
Many thanks!
Picture of Uriel González

I' dont know if this issue is fixed in moodle 2.2 (I'm using 1.8 because of PHP versions), but I created a hack in order to view all grades if course id is "1".

Hope gets usefull and someone fix my errors (I'm new in moodle).

This modification is in grade/report/user/lib.php in line 850:

function grade_report_user_profilereport($course, $user) {
    global $DB,$OUTPUT;

// (Hack) if course id=1: get all courses user ins enroled
    if($course->id == 1){
        $sql = "
            SELECT
                c.id
            FROM
                {user} u
            INNER JOIN
                {user_enrolments} ue
             ON ue.userid = u.id
            INNER JOIN
                {enrol} e
             ON e.id = ue.enrolid
            INNER JOIN
                {course} c
             ON c.id = e.courseid
            WHERE u.id = {$user->id}
        ";    
        $rs = $DB->get_recordset_sql($sql);
        while ($rs->valid()){
            $cursos[]= $rs->current()->id;
            $rs->next();
        }    
    }
    else{
        $cursos[] = $course->id;
    }

foreach($cursos as $curso){
        $course->id = $curso;
        if (!empty($course->showgrades)) {
            $context = get_context_instance(CONTEXT_COURSE, $course->id);

//first make sure we have proper final grades - this must be done before constructing of the grade tree
            grade_regrade_final_grades($course->id);

/// return tracking object
            $gpr = new grade_plugin_return(array('type'=>'report', 'plugin'=>'user', 'courseid'=>$course->id, 'userid'=>$user->id));
            // Create a report instance
            $report = new grade_report_user($course->id, $gpr, $context, $user->id);

// print the page
            echo '<div class="grade-report-user">'; // css fix to share styles with real report page
            echo $OUTPUT->heading(get_string('pluginname', 'gradereport_user'). ' - '.fullname($report->user));
            if ($report->fill_table()) {
                echo $report->print_table(true);
            }
            echo '</div>';
        }
    }
}

Picture of Jon Daley
SOLUTION!

I am not sure why the link in the navigation tab is there, but I think the developers on this thread are overlooking that link, and instead are clicking on the course link in the "course profiles" section in the middle of the page and THEN clicking on the grade book.

That is what the instructions say to do, but it is non-intuitive, which is why you've all missed it.

Developers: if the link in the navigation bar

Users -> Joe Student -> Activity Reports -> Grade (which links to /course/user.php?mode=grade&id=1&user=20 )

is supposed to be different than:

Current course -> Course Name-> Participants -> Joe Student -> Activity Reports -> Grade (links to: /course/user.php?mode=grade&id=3&user=20 )

probably you should make that more clear.

The person's hack suggested above to show all courses when clicking on that link, is a good one (I didn't check or use the code, but the idea sounds good).

Picture of Kyriakos Terzopoulos
Re: SOLUTION!

Hi all and great work on this module,

I'm stuck on this too.

I can confirm that in Moodle 2.5.2, while the grades show when you substitute id=1 with the course id the student is enrolled in, the appropriate links are not shown in the mentees block when you click on the course in the student profile. To explain:

- You setup the parent role according to the documentation and assign the parent to the student

- You login as a parent and want to check the students grades let's say for Math class, with id 41.

- In the mentees block you see: Profile settings for student1 -> Activity Reports -> Grade. This will not show any grades of course, since the course id is 1.

- In the student profile, where you see the courses the student is enrolled in, you click on the course you want to display grades for.

- In the next page that loads, there are no links to the grades for this course!

- If on the first link (course/user.php?mode=grade&id=1&user=6) you change the id to 41 for example, then you will see the appropriate grades.

- Also, I have to say, that in a video tutorial for moodle 2.0 that explained how to setup the parent role, a few permissions were left so the role wouldn't work out of the box - i got an error that the parent could not see the student profile, but I can't recall the extra permissions I had granted now. I will check into it.

Thanks!

Picture of Jon Daley

Did you find any permissions that were missing?

Picture of Scott Summers

Jon, I have looked into the permissions as this problem is a big issue for me. I could not find any fix through permissions but have found a workaround by allowing guest access to course pages with the grades you want 'parents' to see. You would have to change permissions to limit the capability of guests to only view and not participate and stop students from being able to see all courses. The mentees block and activity report>>grades should then work as it should do.

Picture of John Provasnik
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Solution that worked for me for Moodle 2.6.2:

I had to go into my Parent Role definition and make some changes.

1 -- under Activity Report: Allow View Activity Report

2 -- under Activity Completion: Allow View Activity Completion