There should be a simpler way of installing moodle on webservers

There should be a simpler way of installing moodle on webservers

by James Mathews -
Number of replies: 3

I believe that there should be an easier way of installing moodle rather than the pain stakingly long way that is currently having to be done where by you have to download the moodle .zip or .tar.gz files then extract them and upload it to you hosting provider when really the way in which I'd like to see undertaken would be to have it so the there could be a 5MB installer place on the hosting provider that could be the download and installer script which would allow it to download directly to the host provider instead of having to do what we are currently doing and it would help people get up an running in a lot less time 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Mathews

Re: There should be a simpler way of installing moodle on webservers

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Do you have an example of a similar web application that has such an installer to illustrate this idea?

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Well, if you have command-line access to the server, git clone makes it very fast.

There are also things like cPanel and Fantastico that do what you suggest. Sadly they do a lousy job of installing Moodle.

And on linix flavours you can use the standard package management software, althought again there are issues with the way they set up Moodle.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I can install Moodle (usually from Git) in about 10 minutes without rushing.

I completely hate the provision that you get from most hosting providers. cPanel is a terrible thing to have to use and just makes tasks that should be simple way more difficult.

Point is... I've yet to see an automatic installer that doesn't have problems - often serious - that generate hard to solve help requests in the forums. It makes even less sense when (relatively speaking) Moodle is dead easy to install.

Installing *any* public-facing web application on any kind of server is always going to be a step up from installing Angry Birds on your desktop, however.