Site Wide Users (Course creator)

Site Wide Users (Course creator)

by Benn Cass -
Number of replies: 14

I am trying to add a user to a site wide role of course creator. However when I assign them the user doesn't have all the courses listed on thier profile nor their my moodle page. Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Benn Cass

Re: Site Wide Users (Course creator)

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. They won't - they don't get automatic access to courses they didn't create. All a site wide course creator can do is create courses in any category and teach in them. They have no extra powers over other courses.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Benn Cass -

How can I add a user to all courses as a Teacher then? I've tried adding them to the teacher side wide group but the same happens....

In reply to Benn Cass

by Ray Lawrence -

They will only be seeing courses in which they are a Teacher (in this case). It is the automatic assignment to the teacher role in a course when someone who is assigned to the course creator role creates a course that provides the effect you are seeking.

Which version are you using?

What do you mean by "site wide group"?

How many courses are there to see (you may have to change another setting to see them all)?

And lastly, why do you want to do this? (There may be better ways to achieve your goal).

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Benn Cass -

What I am after is assigning a user to every course that is created as an editor of some sort.

We have a number of administrators who add content to all courses but should not be given access to the whole moodle site administration....

In reply to Benn Cass

by ben reynolds -

Benn,

IMO Course Creator is a lame role. We just make people teachers in a site wide role, make sure to turn off the eye so they're not visible to students, and let them add content to their heart's content in 1.9.4

In reply to ben reynolds

by Ray Lawrence -

Really? The course creator role is completely different to the teacher role. Whether it's "lame"or not depends on your requirements.

Benn, have you looked at the Manager role?

In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Benn Cass -

I have no manager role......

Basically what I am after is:

A New Role Called "Course Admin" which can access all courses and edit them all and do everything a teacher can do on all courses.

I have tried adding them to a "teacher" role at system level but they do not get all the courses on thier list of courses....

In reply to Benn Cass

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Benn. If you are running 2.1 you should have the manager role - have you looked in site admin>users>permissions>assign system roles?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Benn Cass -

I've looked there. I think it was removed by someone else. But the manager role isn't the problem.

I need a new role that has the above.

In reply to Benn Cass

by Mary Cooch -

I think if you reinstate the manager role it will do what you want, as Ray says. Has it been totally removed from your Moodle - in users>permissions>define roles?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Benn Cass -

Yes, it has been completely removed.

In reply to Benn Cass

by Benn Cass -

OK - Where I'm upto now is:

I've re-created the Manager role with the ARCHETYPE: Manager.

I've added a user to the system role of Manager. But they still cannot see any courses in thier list.... Any ideas?