incorrect response explanations not showing

incorrect response explanations not showing

by Janet Webster -
Number of replies: 16

Hi, I have a series of multiple choice questions in a lesson. The response to the correct answer appears on the page showing the content, but after an incorrect response it goes to an automated page saying that it's not right and try again. When setting up the responses I have entered information about why it is not right, which it is important for students to see, but I just can't figure out how to make it display. Also the automated page gives students the option to try again or go to the next page, but this is not actually an option, so if they selected to continue without re trying it takes them back to try again anyway. Its the first time I have created a lesson. Would really appreciate if someone can point out where I am going wrong. Thanks in advance, Janet

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Janet Webster

Re: incorrect response explanations not showing

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

@ Janet,

1.- which version of Moodle are you using (1.9.x or 2.x.x)?

2.- have you set Display default feedback to No in your Lesson settings?

Joseph

Attachment 02-08-2011 19-43-52.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Janet Webster -

Hi Joseph, thanks for replying. Yes I did set Display default feedback to no, thinking that might do it - but no effect. I'm using Moodle 2.0. Janet

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Could you please provide a screenshot of your actual question text and choices and feedback, etc. plus a screenshot of your complete lesson settings?

Joseph

by Janet Webster -

Hi Joseph, attaching screen shot of the settings page. Will attach responses page example to te next post.

Thanks, Janet

Attachment lesson settings4.jpg

by Joseph Rézeau -

This screenshot is unfortunately illegible...

by Janet Webster -

Hi Joseph, sorry. I compressed it because the file size was too big to attach or show in the message - I'll have another try at showing you what it looks like. Janet

by Janet Webster -

Hi Joseph, the settings for flow control are as follows:

by Janet Webster -

Hi Joseph, here is an example of the responses page - its the same approach throughout the lesson. Thanks, Janet

Attachment Responses page.jpg

by Janet Webster -

Hi, just in case anyone is struggling with this - I've discovered that 'Provide option to try a question again' in settings, flow control section, has to be set to 'no' for the details of a response to an incorrect answer to display. Janet

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Anna Krassa -

Hi Janet, that was really helpful. 

Just to summarize here the point is that in multiple-choice/one answer questions,

When "Provide option to try a question again" is set to Yes, then the default responce appears,

When "Provide option to try a question again" is set to No, then the custom responce appears.

What I don't understand is why those two are linked like that... is there a reason for that (tecnical or other), or it's something that will change? thoughtful

In reply to Anna Krassa

by Joseph Rézeau -

@anna

I agree; there is no reason why Lesson should work like this. I'll investigate.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Anna Krassa -

You are a star Joseph! Thank you in advance!

In reply to Anna Krassa

by Lisa Beach -

I'm just using this for the first time (2.3) and am finding that this still appears to be an issue. It seems like you should be able to set it up so that a student can try the question again and also see your response to the incorrect answer.

Thanks,

Lisa

In reply to Lisa Beach

by Racquel Biem -

As long as you set the jump for the incorrect responses to be 'this page' when the student presses continue it will automatically take them to the original question to re-try it.