Extra time for some students

Extra time for some students

by Jori Mäntysalo -
Number of replies: 6

Is there way to give extra time for submissions to one student?

By googling I found out that at least quiz has this feature, but at workshop I found only global "allow late submissions" option.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jori Mäntysalo

Re: Extra time for some students

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

What that "Allow late submissions" feature does is

• it allows students to submit their submission after the deadline in the submission phase (but re-submitting is not allowed for them after the deadline even if late submission is allowed)
  • it allows students to submit their submission in the assessment phase (just last chance, again no way to re-submit)

In your case, you could use the new Workshop capability introduced in Moodle 2.1 to ignore all deadlines. If a user is given such capability, none of submission-start, submission-end, assessment-start and assessment-end deadlines apply to them.

In reply to David Mudrák

by Jori Mäntysalo -

Upgraded to 2.1, seems to work.

But I don't quite understand... I am logged in as admin. I am at Home -> Cources -> [category] -> [course] -> Users -> Permissions. And there is "Ignore time restrictions", but what to click now?

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Well, that's a pretty advanced feature of Moodle and it is not Workshop specific. You should definitely read something about roles, capabilities and permission overriding before you start experimenting with this. However, in short what you need to do is

• As the site administrator, go to "Site administration > Users > Permissions > Define roles" and create new role with the name like "User with no time restrictions in Workshop"
  • Do not choose any archetype for the new role
  • In "Context types where this role may be assigned" check Course and Activity module
  • Keep all permissions unchecked - but the one. For the capability "Ignore time restrictions" in the Activity: Workshop section, check the "Allow" permission

To give a particular user the permission to ignore workshop deadlines, you must first decide whether they should have it at a course level (hence for all workshops in it) or in a particular workshop instance only.

• To give them the permission at the course level, use the enrolment interface and add the user the new role (so they will have both "Student" and "User with no time restrictions in Workshop" assigned
  • To give them the permission at the single instance level only, use the block "Settings > Workshop administration > Locally assigned roles"
In reply to David Mudrák

by Jori Mäntysalo -

OK, this works.

But then, when system has moved to Assessment phase, it is no longer possible to submit anything. It is of course logical ja simple arrangement. However, in real life, it is too restrictive. I will start new thread about this.

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators

As you say, quiz has this feature. In fact it belongs to a more general feature of creating exceptions for certain students.

Quiz can do that because Tim Hunt (i believe) implemented it when refactoring the quiz code, but it's a feature pretty unknown to people, even between some Moodle developers. Hope one day it will be implemented across whole Moodle.

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.