Cohort capability

Cohort capability

by Nikki Macfarlane -
Number of replies: 2

I am not sure where to ask a quesiton or make a suggesiton about an existing plugin - apologies if this is not the right place!

The cohort plugin is fantastic and done an excellent job of replacing my old meta courses functionality. Just one thing it does not do:

Are there any plans for having Cohorts work as an external database? I would like when a new student signs up for my own shopping cart to add a record to an external database, identifying the cohort that this student would belong to. Then, when the student logs in for the first time it looks up the external database and automatically puts them in the correct cohort/s, similar to how my old enrolment external plugin worked. Any plans for this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

Re: Cohort capability

by Nikki Macfarlane -

I am bumping this up in the hope someone can help. I read through the documentation on cohorts and it looks like it can be used to sync with an external database but I cannot find anything that explains how this is done. Ideally, I would like to have an external database with the student idnumber, and the cohort they should belong to. Then when a new student logs in it enrols them in the cohort that is in this external table.

Is this possible?

In reply to Nikki Macfarlane

Re: Cohort capability

by Chad Bergeron -

I'd like to know more about this too.  It looks like as of Moodle 2.2 you can add people to cohorts via the Upload Users script, but I'd like to know if there is a way to do it from the same external database that the External Database enrollments script draws from.