pasting from Word

pasting from Word

by Sue Force -
Number of replies: 5

am new to Moodle.

What does the 'paste from Word' html tool do?

It did not keep my word formatting when i tried pasting with the tool rather than pasting direct into the text area field.

Sue

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sue Force

Re: pasting from Word

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -

It brings up a box for you to inert any text copied from word - don't paste word text direct into the normal HTML area. Pasted Word text brings with it tons of additional formatting info (you can see this by turning on the <>/HTML view) - this basically corrupts the layout and format of the area you are working on, and can cause some issues.

Best thing to do really, is not to past direct from Word - if you need to, paste it into a notepad/wordpad editor first, convert to plain text and then import.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

by Velson Horie -

Thank you for raising this.

I want my students to send me experiment reports, including equations, graphs, diagrams, photos, tables, and of course text.  Most prepare the reports as Word documents, or written on paper, then send them by post.  I have not found an easy way for them to send me the reports within Moodle.

The easiest way for them would be to copy and paste into an quiz essay response box.  Is there a solution to this?  I am still using Moodle 1.9, but have beeninformed that I shall soon be transfered to 2.1(?)

In reply to Velson Horie

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Can you use the Assignment activity. This is designed for uploading files (by students). Word files would be fine.
In reply to Velson Horie

by Pieter van der Hijden -

Create a Moodle assignment.

It gives your students the opportunity to upload their reports, as word-documents without any extra copy/paste. They have evidence that they did and eventually can download their work (if their personally copy was lost). Optionally, you can enable them to send an updated version as well.

It gives you the opportunity to see who submitted or not, to open the documents for reading, to give comments and eventually a grade.

This is an enormous time saver compared to receiving such reports via email.

In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

by Chad Outten -

actually - to go one better, if you copy-paste from word or a website and don't want to apply this formatting in moodle, first click the 'HTML' icon in the HTML editor and paste your clipboard content directly in the editor whilst in HTML source view.