User Passwords changed after Upgrade to 2.0.2

User Passwords changed after Upgrade to 2.0.2

by Kimberly Middendorf -
Number of replies: 4

After upgrading to Moodle 2.0.2, user passwords were changed to some computer generated passwords. Their passwords already met the strict requirements of 7 characters, one letter, one number, one symbol, and one capital letter that the last upgrade I did required. My students are fifth graders and many do not have email accounts or at least they don't have them listed on their account page, so they can't just request a new password to be emailed to them. I also can't contact them as it is currently summer break. Is there a way to change them back to what they were before? Perhaps by using part of the fantastico backup folder in CPanel?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kimberly Middendorf

Re: User Passwords changed after Upgrade to 2.0.2

by Adi Tedjasaputra -

You can try to update the existing accounts' passwords using a csv upload and then inform the students of their new passwords.

by Stefan Nychka -

Hi.  There's a possibility you're noticing the password hashes, whereas before the plain text passwords were stored; the passwords from the users' viewpoint may not've actually changed.  I'm assuming this because passwords didn't change when we upgraded, and because you mentioned it was summer break.  So, maybe they can still login.  Ignore this, of course, if a few students have actually tried (or you've logged in w/ student accounts & pswds), and they no longer can log in.

How did you notice their passwords changed?  Did you look directly in the db?  Are the students using manual accounts, or do they authenticate using another protocol, like LDAP.  (Sorry, I'm not familiar with fantastico or CPanel.)

Cheers

In reply to Stefan Nychka

by Kimberly Middendorf -

When I first logged in after the upgrade, my password wouldn't work and I had to have it email me a temporary one and then change it. Since I was concerned I tried logging in as a student, using an account that I had just created before the upgrade that no student had used yet so  I knew the student hadn't changed their password, and it didn't work.

I create the accounts using a spreadsheet and bulk load them in with passwords. Then they can change them after they log in the first time.

Re: Still Need Help Please!! User Passwords changed after Upgrade to 2.0.2

by Kimberly Middendorf -

After upgrading to Moodle 2.0.2, user passwords were changed to some computer generated passwords. Their passwords already met the strict requirements of 7 characters, one letter, one number, one symbol, and one capital letter that the last upgrade I did required. My students are fifth graders and many do not have email accounts or at least they don't have them listed on their account page, so they can't just request a new password to be emailed to them. I also can't contact them as it is currently summer break. Is there a way to change them back to what they were before? Perhaps by using part of the fantastico backup folder in CPanel that Fantastico made before the upgrade?