Problem adding quiz - "You must fill in the feedback boxes without leaving any gaps"

Problem adding quiz - "You must fill in the feedback boxes without leaving any gaps"

by Kirsty McAnally -
Number of replies: 19

OK I am sure I am being really dumb here but I have only just upgraded our site to 2.0 and I seem to be having a few transition issuesblush.

I am trying to add my first quiz since the upgrade and I am unable to save the quiz at all as I get "You must fill in the feedback boxes without leaving any gaps" on all the feedback boxes.

I am not 100% sure what this means, I have entered feedback in every box but it won't save, I have entered just one letter without any "gaps" and it won't save!  I am not sure what I am supposed to do here. 

It is also saying that -

"This quiz is not graded, so you cannot set overall feedback that differs by grade." - Yet I can't find anywhere to edit the grade settings??
Totally confused - please help!!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kirsty McAnally

Re: Problem adding quiz - "You must fill in the feedback boxes without leaving any gaps"

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you check Site administration ► Plugins ► Activity modules ► Quiz ► Maximum grade, and make sure that is set to something non-zero.

Also, I hope you have upgraded to 2.0.3.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Problem adding quiz - "You must fill in the feedback boxes without leaving any gaps"

by Kirsty McAnally -

Thank you so much for answering so quickly Tim.  I didn't think of looking there.

Maximum grade was set to 0 so I changed it to the default of 10 and tried again.  Initially I got the same error but noticed that I could now edit the grade boundry fields which I couldn't before.  So I have added percantages to these fields and it now allowed me to save the quiz - yaye!!

The only funny I seem to have now is every time I go into the quiz to edit the settings it is automatically creating more blank feedback boxes which it then insists on me filling in the grade boundry fields?

Yes we are on version 2.0.3.

Thanks again for your help.

by Kirsty McAnally -

I am still having a weird issue with this????

Every time I go in and edit a Quiz I get more blank feedback boxes - they are creating themselves? 

I then have to fill them in with percentages to enable me to save the quiz, but it is getting a bit ridiculous now as I have one quiz with 17 feedback boxes? I can't seem to delete the feedback boxes and I have to put a % in them or it just won't let me save the quiz. 

Any suggestions from any of you Moodle experts out there would be greatly apprecitated!

Attachment Feedback boxes.png

by Lev Abramov -

Kirsty, have you done someting that might have caused His anger? For I cannot explain this phenomenon by anything but divine punishment.

LOL

In reply to Lev Abramov

by Kirsty McAnally -

So true!!!! I must have done something pretty bad cause I can't work this out big grin!

by Lev Abramov -

Kirsty, you must repent. smile And I'll tell you the best way to do that:

if your build of Moodle is not the latest in the version (e.g., 201 while the latest is 204) - update the installation. This nasty thing may then go away. Not a 100% guarantee - but quite a chance.

And report to the forum.

One more suggestion: turn on Debugging and see what messages you get whenever the number of feedback fields suddenly multiplies and procreates. smile

Best -

Lev

In reply to Lev Abramov

by Kirsty McAnally -

Many thanks Lev! 

I repent, I repent!!   I will upgrade and clense my moodle, I am on 2.0.3+ and, with all the testing and mucking about, I now have one quiz that has 35 feedback boxes!  At least with Steves suggestion I can now save the quiz without having to fill in the feedback boxesmixed.

Will let you know how I get onsmile

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You don't need to fill in all the boxes. It is just that the ones you do fill in must be contiguous, and in order.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Kirsty McAnally -

Many thanks Tim once again for your assistance....

But this does not seem to be the case as I have filled in the boxes in sequence and in order with percentages that are correct and add to 100% but it will not let me save the quiz with any empty boxes!  I actually have to count up all the boxes and then enter an amount in each one which makes them all add up to 100%.

And everytime I go in to edit the quiz settings it adds more empty boxes - so I have to reenter the amounts in all of them to add up to 100%. 

Even worse it does this on ALL my quiz's across the whole site!!

Is it possible something has gone wrong with my installation?  As it has only started doing this since I upgraded.

I really am thinking I have done something bad and this is punishment LOL!

by Steve Singlet -
Kirsty,

You and I must have both angered the moodle gods...I was unable to save a quiz after editing with the same error message you described. I'm a linux user and my regular bowser is Firefox. After much cursing (digging a deeper hole in moodleKarma), I tried different browsers. Lo! Epiphany and Opera worked fine! More digging...

The aha moment: I use an addon for Firefox called LoL (I'm not joking) which allows navigating a webpage without using a mouse; similar addons include "mouseless browsing" and "HaH" the progenitor of LoL. Anyway, it turns out that the LoL inserts a "hidden" x/html tag anywhere there is an input field on a web page. In the case of the moodle quiz, there were tags being entered in each of the Feedback text entry areas. Moodle didn't "ignore" these tags, thinking they were some type of legitimate feedback. When I disable the LoL addon or use a browser that doesn't add x/html droppings where I don't see them, everything works fine. I don't know whether this is an issue for the the Tiny/MCE folks, the moodle parser folks, the quiz module folks, or someone else. At any rate, you may want to try turning off browser addons one by one and see if this fixes your problem.

Vital Stats:
Moodle 2.1.1+
Quiz $module->version = 2011070100

Good luck!
Steve
In reply to Steve Singlet

by Kirsty McAnally -

Praise be to you Steve wink!

You are brilliant!  I was also using firefox so I tried it in Chrome and although it still madly created feedback boxes, I was able to save the quiz without having to enter any amounts in the boxes.  A definite step in the right direction. 

I have had a look through my add-ons in firefox and don't see any such as LoL but will try your suggestion of disabling them and see if I can find the culprit!  I think I am also going to upgrade the site to the latest version - I am on 2.0.3+ so I will try Lev's suggestion and upgrade.

Fingers crossed this appeases the moodle gods and all will be forgiven!!

by Richard Jones -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi

This problem seems to occur on Safari for Mac on version 2.2.3 (just released).

Safari seems to "create" the issue then when reverting to another browser it gets cleared up again.

Rather strange and possibly related to some kind of plugin.

Just in case someone else finds this thread...

In reply to Steve Singlet

by Ewan Logue -

Argh!!!

Im coming across a similar issue possibly the same issue however unsure how to fix this

I originally used firefox however have since removed this and now using IE8 when i setup a quiz it allows me to input the grade boundary however when i go back in it only keeps the first one 100% and all other grade boundarys below are locked but able to edit the feedback sections.

Can anyone please help and advise how this can be fixed im in the middle or rolling out compliance testing for the business and this is just causing major issues!

by Lila Kelly -

I am experiencing this problem now too, for the first time in over a year -- Blank feedback boxes creating themselves every time I go into a quiz edit mode.  Is there someway to delete feedback boxes?  What if I clicked the "add 3 more feedback fields" by mistake, and then wanted to remove them?

by Jeff Chamberlain -

Had the same problem. Every edit of the quiz added more and more feedback boxes that had to be filled in. Also had similar behavior with writing questions. I had to have answers for every answer box and each edit session added 3 more answer boxes. Thanks to this forum's advice I disabled Dragon Naturally Speaking's add-on for Firefox and now all is well.

In reply to Jeff Chamberlain

by Jean-Michel Védrine -

Thanks Jef for this report.

All Moodle users having this problem need to understand that as other Moodle users don't experiment the same problem, the cause in not in Moodle.

There is surely "something" (plugin, software, sorry I can't be more precise) on their computer that is putting some text in these empty fields so Moodle think these fields are not empty and are valuable information. Maybe this is just some invisible characters ot HTML tags but you can bet these fields are not empty even if you see nothing in them.

For Jef the culprit was Dragon Naturally Speaking add-on for Firefox but other people can experiment the same problem with other software or plugin. You need to find the culprit and deactivate it.

In reply to Jean-Michel Védrine

by Tim Hunt -

I am very intrigued by this (mis)behaviour of Dragon Naturally Speaking. I wonder why it had to do that? Writing voice recognition software so that it can input data into any programme running on the computer must be hard. I wonder what their approach is? Simulating key presses on the keyboard, or what.

Anyway, it seems that Dragon is adding HTML comments. In Moodle, we have a function html_is_blank, which tries to do a more clever job of deciding whether HTML input acutally has anything in it. Currently the quiz form does not use that, it just compares the imput to an empty string. Also, unfortunately, html_is_blank does not remove HTML comments, so it would not acutally solve (or work-around might be a better word) this problem.

In reply to Tim Hunt

回复: Re: Problem adding quiz - "You must fill in the feedback boxes without leaving any gaps"

by eagle desert -

Chhers! Same problem but I located the reason.

It's some extensions, foxlingo for firefox, in my case.

You can switch the editor from WYSIWYE to html code mode, then you can see some code there which you think it's empty before. delete it or disable the extension, it's done.

In reply to eagle desert

by Matt Bury -
Picture of Plugin developers

I tried eagle's solution in Firefox, i.e. switch to code view "< >" in the text editors (click on the top left text editor icon "Show more buttons" if you can't see it), deleted any "< br / >" codes in empty boxes, and it worked.

Thanks eagle! smile