moodle newbie

moodle newbie

by Bernard B -
Number of replies: 8
I have the server running on my own computer. Its working fine. I did some portforwarding in my router and a friend of mine could reach the first webpage from the outside.  But his browser doesnot show anything when he is clicking a link. Can somebody give this newbie a tip because moodling on my own is not a very useful thing to do
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bernard B

Re: moodle newbie

by Tony Hursh -
What URL does the link have?

Also, what do you have set for $CFG->wwwroot in your config.php file?

In reply to Tony Hursh

by Bernard B -

What a fast reaction! Very nice! Thanks. It happens with all the links on the first page, for instance the log in link. This is what I found in my config.php

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://localhost/';

I installed the moodle files directly in the www map. In the middle of the night I woke up thinking that probably I did not do the obvious and that is sharing the moodle map withe the world. Could this be the problem and if so do I have to hide some config or install files?

In reply to Bernard B

by Bill Burgos -
Hi Bernard,

'localhost' is usually reserved to your own computer, on ANY computer.

That is, using 'localhost' will not be accessible to anyone who is NOT using your computer. That is why they can only access the first homepage. Using localhost will direct them to their OWN computer, not yours.

As I do not know your home setup, it would be difficult to make any further suggestions.

I highly recommend that you look into networking systems (google would be the first stop) and continuing to ask questions here for more help.

You may also want to start by letting us know the system you intend to use for your setup (Operating System, way to connect to the Internet, etc.).

Hope this helps,

Bill
In reply to Bill Burgos

by Tony Hursh -
Bernard may want to look into one of the services that lets you have a real host name for your home machine, even if you have a dynamic IP address.

I've used http://www.dyndns.org/ before with good results. It's free for up to 5 host names, I think.

In reply to Bernard B

by Shawn Gray -

Moodle Newbie.

Is the issue still occuring?

In reply to Shawn Gray

by Bernard B -
No, I found the solution a few minutes ago. I had to exchange the word localhost in my ip adress. Now its working fine. I fear moodle is going to be a hobby and I must watch my sleeping time.
In reply to Bernard B

by W Page -
QUOTE:  Bernard B
"...  I fear moodle is going to be a hobby and I must watch my sleeping time.".

Yes, it can do that to you. big grin

WP1

In reply to Bernard B

by Tony Hursh -
Bernard, that'll work fine as long as your IP address doesn't change (which it probably will from time to time, if you're running your server on a home connection using DSL or cable modem).

The dynamic DNS service checks your IP address periodically and fixes things up. Also, it lets you have a human-friendly name for your site, rather than requiring your users to remember an IP address.

Sleep? Who needs sleep? I don't think I've had any since I started graduate school. smile