Summary of attemt showing “Not answered”. Moodle 2

Summary of attemt showing “Not answered”. Moodle 2

by Kristbjörg Olsen -
Number of replies: 5

If a student re-attempts a quiz and just looks over her answers from previous attempt, clicks Next without changing an answer and clicks Finish attempt, the Summary of attemt shows Not answered to all questions.

The quiz settings are: Attempts allowed: Unlimited  and  Each attempt builds on the last: Yes

The answers which are there, from her previous attempt are not shown in the summary as being answered, even though they are saved in this attempt (by clicking Next). However all the answers show up in the students attempt and are calculated.

Thanks in advance
Kris

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristbjörg Olsen

Re: Summary of attemt showing “Not answered”. Moodle 2

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

This has been sorted out in Moodle 2.1

In Moodle 2.0, for various reasons, it is hard to do anything about this.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marc Wenger -

I'm on 2.1.2, have the same quiz setup and I still see "not answered" on the summary

In reply to Marc Wenger

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Oh, that's interesting. Clearly 'Each attempt builds on last' had not been tested as carefully as I thought.

It should work, and we can fix it, but I worry whether that is really useful. How about this?

1. Student attempts a quiz setup up as 'deferred feedback' and 'each attempt builds on last'.
  2. At the end of the first attempt, they see that have got questions 3, 5 and 37 wrong (and make a note of those question numbers).
  3. They start their second attempt, and update their answers to 3 and 5, but then the phone rings (or something) and they have to stop.
  4. When they get back they can't remeber quite where they had got to.

With the code as it is now, they can go to the summary page, and tell the difference between the questions where they have changed their answer, and those where they have not. (Although confusingly, it says 'Not answered' rathern than 'Answer not changed since the first attempt'.)

If we just make it say 'Answer saved' for all questions, then than is less useful.

(I have to say that making it say 'Answer not changed' is going to be quite hard to do. Do we have to find a way of doing that?)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marc Wenger -

I think it's essential to have another response status such as "unchanged" or "answer not changed".

While I understand your scenario where the student re-attempts a long quiz, goes away and comes back some time later and loose his/her place, I'll tell you that's been posed in my organization.

We have recurrent training for safety, occurance reports, policies, etc.  We have a lesson and then of course a quiz afterwards.  Students must get 100% to pass.  After the quiz, students review their results and re-attempt the quiz and re-attempt only the answers they have incorrect.  This repeats until they get 100% (in case you are wondering, this is more for the student to understand and agree to company procedures)

When a student re-attempts 2 incorrect responses on a 15 question quiz, and sees 13 "not answered" statuses, that can confuse many students