I am running to a big problem with the migration from 1.9.3 to 2.0.3. Currently I am have installed PHP 5.2.8 + MySQL 5.0 on Windows Server 2003 machine which should be OK for Moodle 2. I started the upgrade process and I passed the first steps with converting the database to the new format. Then I had two progress bars filled to 100% (courses and blogs), my browser was still waiting for the page and nothing was happening.
I restarted the browser and started the upgrade progress again. This time I got just a blank page with "Update in progress" and the browser was still waiting to load the page. And it stayed the same for hours, more than 5 in sequence.
Any ideas how to fix this and to finish the upgrade process? I would appreciate any help. I am in a hurry
This advice is wrong.
If you have a version as old as 1.9.3, you may find it works better to upgrade to 1.9.12 first (or whatever the latest version on that branch is), before upgrading to 2.0.x.
However, there is no point going through all the different 1.9.x versions.
As he seemed to have problems going from 1.9.3 to 2.0.3 in one step, I assumed it would be best to do it in small steps, just like when going from older versions.
So the recommended path is 1.9.3 -> 1.9.12 - 2.0.3.
Correction noticed. Thanks.
Next time I will definitely try this.
From what I saw, the upgrade process deleted all course materials that have been uploaded - that means videos, word documents, pdf's - but it spared "moddata" with all forums, discussions and files uploaded by students. I do not know why this is possible to happen but that is the result.
Hope that my experience will help someone.
Just remember to backup EVERYTHING!
Just wondering, when you say you lost the files, are you looking in the moodledata folders on the server? I wondered about this as well, all my files had been moved into the new storage placement on the server, which is very different from the old. All I saw was the moddata folder under each course folder in moodledata. However the files were still on the system, in their new locations.
Just in case this applies in your situation as well.
I my case the files where gone. I tried to search the whole "moodledata" folder for them, for ex. "Some lecture.pdf" but with no results.
Anyways, I think they were somewhere there because my "moodledata" folder was with the same size after the upgrade try.
All files are saved under the filedir directory in moodledata, but you won't find them with their original name as the file name is based on the SHA1 hash of the content of the file. You actually need to access your DB in order to get the original file name.
Thank you Guillermo, I found that articles most helpful and I found my "missing" files as well