Restrict Access to Courses (Moodle 1.9)

Restrict Access to Courses (Moodle 1.9)

by Stephen Martin -
Number of replies: 4

One of the Moodle sites I manage is for our internal employee training and development.  All employees may log in to the site and enrol in any course.

Recently, I've had a request to allow some of our Independent Consultants access to some of these courses.

Here's my dilemma:  For most of the courses, it really doesn't matter if IC's have access to them or not (even if they aren't the core courses we want them to access).  There are, however, three courses where we want to precent ICs from enroling as the courses cover proprietary corporate information for employees only.

I want employees to self-enrol in any course so I can't restrict enrolment and using an enrolment key is not an option (key is too easy to share).  How can I restrict access to some courses while leaving them open for authorized users?

I have tried duplicating the Student as "IC_Student" then adding IC accounts to this role at the system level.  Then, at the course level for the ones I want to protect, I override the permissions for the IC_Student role to prevent them from seeing anything.  This sort of works (IC_Students can still try to enrol, but they don't get in--don't get any message saying they don't get in either).  I'd really like to make it so the IC_Student role doesn't even know the course exists.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Martin

Re: Restrict Access to Courses (Moodle 1.9)

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Can you put the confidential courses in a separate course category, and then do something with the permissions to stop IC students getting into that category?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Stephen Martin -

That's the direction I'm going.  Problems is IC's can still see the category (haven't figured out how to hide it).  They just can't enroll in the courses which is good.  I'd like to keep them from even knowing they exist.

by Tahiya Marome -

I have this exact same question. We are looking to dump our Adobe Connect subscription if Moodle can provide this kind of island of content for only people with the right passport.

by Brian Brumfield -

I had this same question and just stumbled across the answer - and it's YES! [edit: With Moodle 2.1]

I navigated to my Categories, and then clicked Permissions in the Settings bar.

It looks like you can flag a category to be hidden and there may be a nugget there, or you can set access restrictions by role. I have not played with this much, but will update when I have.

See attached screenshot. Best of luck!

Attachment RestrictCoursesScreenshot.jpg