Moodle installer Hangs

Moodle installer Hangs

by Paul Swainson -
Number of replies: 3

Hi to all forum members!

This is my first time here and I have setup moodle a few times, fantastic it is too. I have a small setup which I will go over before explaining my problem in full (I find it best when asking for help to explain what I have done) .

I have a firewall/router called IPCOP, I have a internal green zone safe from bad packets and with this I have a DMZ zone with qmail, apache on fedora core 1 with around 15 domains hosting over a standard ADSL line.

I have setup moodle on my internal green network with a test dns & web server and it works like a dream (same as my DMZ server). A local school wants to play with moodle so I decided to use a spare domain name, setup a virtual host and begun the install from the DMZ server.

Now, operating from my internal network and from a remote proxy on the net produced the same problem. The first page appears fine so I click next, then I get a pass on all tests, click next and I get the screen from the 1st settings, It retreves the domain name, web dir etc but when I click next the thing freezes, eventualy it returns the error moodle could not be found on that domain name.

If I attempt to do anything without closing the browser it simply will not comminicate. I thought it might be the IPCOP deny a PHP request and baning me, but it is not.

To determin if it was a miss configured server I ran the install on the web server as localhost, the setup completed so it is to do with IPCOP. After I simply went into the config.php and changed the url to the domain name!

Great, it works instide and out, so what was the installer doing that IPCOP does not like. I have been to varoius forums for IPCOP but they think its related to moodle (not that old chestnut again)?

Now as I said it works except one thing that produces the same problem as the installer did, in admin if you go to varibles. Thats the only page that does it as before, what ever is in the installer the IPCOP does not like it happens accessing the varibles page.

IPCOP is a very stable open source firewall and I am hasstling them about what PHP call would temperaly block access, but no luck.....

If any one has any ideas I would be very greatfull, is anyone else using IPCOP 1.4 and runnning moodle in the DMZ?

Anyway, many thanks in advance

Regards

Paul 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Swainson

Re: Moodle installer Hangs

by Shawn Gray -

Paul,

I may be alittle off the wall here but need help in a similar area.  I am installing moodle for the first time (1.4.3).  Started the install, everything fine until the installation warned that some web admins use /admin and I should change the directory.  Personally I dont use this feature and would just like to continue the install....but everything I input (/amdin, /moodleadmin, " ") doesn't work...any help would be greatly appreciated.

In reply to Shawn Gray

by Paul Swainson -

Ok, finger pointing just makes you look stupid in the end and so does replying to yorself!

IPCOP was not to blame, after I took my working internal web server and plonked it the DMZ zone, that version of moodle worked fine, so installing as localhost on the web server and changing the config.php to your domain after is ok, although the problem with the varibles page is it take around 120 seconds to appear. Thats ok cos the rest is quick.

badly configured server? perhaps, although the inital problem still remains, if you run the installer any other way other than on localhost, you insists moodle does not exist... Strange

I would recomend any one have simalr issues installing try setting it up from the webserver with a browser using localhost as your domain name and changing it manually later...

Thanks

Regards

Paul

In reply to Paul Swainson

by Sean S -
My installation is also hanging after I get the web address, moodle directory and data directory screen.

I do not have the option to use local host since I am using paid hosting. Any ideas?