Auto enrol all users in a course or category

Auto enrol all users in a course or category

by Jerry Lau -
Number of replies: 13

Hi there,

I would like have all our users (new or existing) automatically (when they create an account or log in) :

1. First - enrolled in a few specific courses AND
  2. Second - prevent them from unenrolling themselves from these courses

I want them to always be enrolled in an "Important Information" course section.

How do I do that?

I am using Moodle 2.0.3

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jerry Lau

Re: Auto enrol all users in a course or category

by Guillermo Madero -

1. http://docs.moodle.org/en/Upload_users

2. The student role doesn't allow student to unenrol themselves (unless the role was modified).

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Jerry Lau -

thank you but I don't think this would automatically enrol the user to a course that I specified.

Let's say John Smith has created a new account for himself.

After he has created his account, he is automatically added to courses called "Welcome" and "Study Resources"

How do I do that?

In reply to Jerry Lau

by Guillermo Madero -

As far as I know (as I still have lots to learn), there is no "automatic" way of doing that.

Enrolment has to be done manually, though there are quite an array of options to do it.

by Jerry Lau -

It was possible in 1.9.x releases though...

In reply to Jerry Lau

by Guillermo Madero -

Unless you're using some kind of user authentication plugin (like LDAP) or some particular code, I sincerely don't see how someone completely new to the system and who is creating an account by himself, could automatically be enroled in a specific course or set of courses (not all); be it 19.x or 2.0.x.

by E. L. Cooper -

You can edit the orginal welcome message and TELL them to enroll in those 2 classes.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to E. L. Cooper

by James Snell -

I've taken this approach for the last couple years and our support staff need to carefully walk high barriered users through doing this.. Which ends up being often. The particular moodle site I want this for has been fairly successful, but having a clean way of automating enrolments for some courses would make it more successful by lowering our real-world operating costs.

In reply to James Snell

by Bob Puffer -

We use external enrollments database plugin and do an export of targeted users and add them to the end of the external DB table for each course we want auto-enrolled.  Pretty simple.

In reply to Jerry Lau

by Brett Wilkins-Byrd -

I am also interested in this. In a commercial world we need a solution where a person pays for a series of courses via paypal and automagically gets access to a certain set of courses. I have my setup with agroup of courses and access to those courses is by cohort. I now need to get each auto enrollment allocated to a cohort, automagically.

Maybe time for me to get a programmer on to this?

In reply to Brett Wilkins-Byrd

by Guillermo Madero -

Ah, this is a completely different situation because here you are using, or will be using, the paypal authentication method:

http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Paypal_enrolment

by Brett Wilkins-Byrd -

Yes ...but the problem with automatic Cohort allocation to a course still remains smile

Our PayPal enrolments go to an affiliate program and Moodle gets the enrolment details from that Affiliate Program database and creates an entry in the Moodle database to match.

The problem is that all students get access to a group of courses and then qualify later for access to further groups of courses. These are managed by using Cohorts. I need to automatically allocate all users to a default cohort when they auto-enrol.

by Guillermo Madero -

Besides doing it one by one, I really don't know of any other way of allocating users to a cohort. I sure wish there were faster and simpler methods to do this (like a csv file upload, for starters).

Yes... maybe it's time to get a programmer! wink

by Chris Baldwin -

This discussion is a bit old, but for future reference, re the paypal enrolments into more than one course - we are using course meta links - seems to do the job. I'd love to see category enrolments where you can enrol a user into all courses in a category - cohorts doesn't do this, nither (as far as I can see) does the old category enrolments.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)